Is a hedgehog right for me? - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2012, 08:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Is a hedgehog right for me?

I'm 24, I work at home in a two bedroom apartment. Recently I've been in contact with a woman on Craigslist who is selling her six month old hedgehog for $200. I met him (the hedgehog) and he seems sociable, even though he clearly had no idea what was going on.

He spent most of the time inside his towel, but I could hold him without any huffing or anything (no noises, no moving, he wasn't rolled up into a ball, he was just very chill).

Here are my questions, and I'm sorry that they're numerous.

1) I know not to ask how long it'll take him to trust me, but will his age make it more difficult to develop a bond than it would if he were a baby?

2) Is it too late to try to litter train him?

3) I do all my work in my office, where I am most of the day, I also have a bedroom and a living room, what's the best place to keep him? Should he be near me or away from me (for the sake of peace and quiet). Should I keep him in the living room at first or bring him to the office after he's familiar with the apartment?

4) What's the best way to clean hedgehog poop/pee out of a white carpet?

5) Will my girlfriend handling the hog interrupt my bonding attempts?

6) My girlfriend has cats, they'll never meet the hog, but will the cat smell on her clothes be a problem?

7) I've been reading a *lot* of topics on this thread, and have learned a lot of hedgehog language. I find it extremely technical, so I need to clarify a particularly professional term I've been hearing; How prevalent is "Poopy feet" ?
Squash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2012, 08:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Christemo
Default Re: Is a hedgehog right for me?

1. Depends on how much he was handled as a youngin. Everything could be fine with socializing, but if he was left in his cage all his first 6 months, that could be hard to recover from.
2. Most hedgehogs don't get litter trained... most of us have a litter pan under the wheel to catch their poops. They usually poo when they run, so it's the best for them.
3. I would say the spare bedroom would be perfect for him.
4. I would say any good pet carpet cleaner would work. I wouldn't let him out running free on his own unsupervised anyway.
5. No, it won't.
6. It could freak him out a little bit, but should get used to it.
7. Poopy feet happens every night. It's just when they run in their wheel, they'll obviously hit their poop and run in it.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/tranquills
Check out Tranquills for all your hedgehog needs! Including... TUTUS!
https://christineschramm.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home
Christemo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2012, 09:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Re: Is a hedgehog right for me?

1. Just depends on the hedgehog. I’ve had adults that were hissy quill balls (have one now that I’m re-socializing) that have become very loving hedgehogs. It takes daily interaction, lots of understanding, and patience. But you should also be prepared to deal with his current attitude for the rest of his life, should it be just his personality.
2. There is no guarantee that even a baby hedgehog will litter train. Many will never litter train, and all will continue to poop on their wheels when running. You can try to litter train him, but again don’t be disappointed if he doesn’t.
3. Hedgehogs tend to do best in a quite environment. They will do ok with some noise, but I try to provide a nice quiet room for them to sleep in during the day.
4. Don’t let it happen? I throw a big blanket on the floor for mine to run around on. I don’t like carpet cleaners as many of them do have a smell, and smells are very enticing to hedgehogs causing them to want to bite at the scent.
5. Nope! The husband and I both interact with the hedgehogs. Some have picked one of us as their “favorite” but others loved us equally.
7. Poop feet will happen. Hedgehogs require running wheels, and they poop while they run and will run through the poop getting it stuck on their feet.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in