Soon to be hedgie mama!:) - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2012, 09:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Lightbulb Soon to be hedgie mama!:)

Im very happy to tell you that I'm on the wait list for a hedgie!! I'm going to name it Luna if she's a girl, or Sedrick if he's a boy. Can't wait!!It won't be untill May, but it's nice to be excited! I have everything, but I have a few questions.

1. The cage is on my wood dresser. How should I seal it?
2. During quilling, what are some home made remedies to help ease the pain?
3 What veggies and fruits should I use to gut load mealworms?
4 What are your hedgie's favorite fruits and veggies?
5 Before I gut load them, how do I prevent the mealworms from breeding and morphing?
6 How old was your hog when you brought them home?

Thanks!!
kittyeats is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2012, 09:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Soon to be hedgie mama!:)

yay! I get my first hedgie in 6 more days. I dont have a name yet for her. I love the name sedrick so cute.

I can't help with any questions haha except maybe the sealing, what kind of cage did you get?

Also do you have a heat method set up yet?

My hedgie will be 7 weeks when I get her.

pink-ster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2012, 09:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have a C&C cage and getting a CHE set up soon.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

1. What kind of cage do you have? If it's a plastic-bottomed wire cage, you shouldn't need to worry about anything leaking through. With a C&C one, you may want to worry, since sometimes pee can leak through the cracks in the corners, or around the edges. I'm not sure what to seal the wood with though, hopefully someone else can suggest something.

2. Oatmeal baths help soften the skin and soothe the pain of quilling, so you could try those. Other than that, just try not to press down on her back much, or touch her quills if she shows that it bothers her. Some aren't as affected by it as others, I don't remember Lily being very huffy at all during her quilling periods.

3. Anything that's safe for a hedgie, like listed in this thread - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=fruit+ and+veggie I just kept mine on wheat bran and gave them carrots for moisture.

4. Lily's favorites were peas and sweet potatoes, both as baby foods. She also loved all melons - watermelon, cantaloupe, and honeydew melon. She wasn't a fan of any other fruits, though she liked baby food applesauce well enough. Sweet potatoes are usually a pretty big hit wit most hedgies. You can also try and get more fruits/veggies into them if you mix them with a meat baby food...Lily was always willing to eat just about anything in baby food form if it was mixed with chicken or turkey baby food. Make sure you only introduce one new food at a time though - whether it's a new kibble, new treat, etc.

5. If you don't want them to change at all, you can keep them in the fridge. It keeps them in hibernation mode, so they won't grow or change form at all. You'll want to take them out once a week to let them warm up and eat though. They can last for weeks, or even months kept this way.

6. Lily was at least 8 weeks old, if I remember right, maybe a bit older? I know her birthday was June 12, and I got her in mid-August, I believe.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2012, 10:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks! New mommy paranoia is sinking in and want to make sure every thing is perfect!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in