First 24 hours: How alone is alone? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2012, 04:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default First 24 hours: How alone is alone?

I know that you are supposed to leave your new hedgie alone the first 24 hours after bring them home but how alone is alone? Can you peek in on them and watch what they are doing? Or should you completely ignore them and not disturb them during that time? Should you avoid going near the cage?

Old 03-07-2012, 04:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: First 24 hours: How alone is alone?

Someone will probably be able to answer this better than I will but I think peeking at them is just fine. I told one of my friends who was really excited about me bringing diggory home "we can't touch him....but no one said we can't sit and stare!!" haha. Plust it is only natural to want to peek at your new baby every once in a while to see that they're fine.

But if they are in their igloo/hideout don't lift it up to look at them.

alyssinreality is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 08:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm gonna be real honest here - I held my baby all night long the day I brought her home. However, she is VERY well tempered and was not scared, did not ball up, huff or hiss, and never had that green stress-related poo. She never does any of these things come to think of it though hahaha (:
I would definitely say that peeking is ok though (: But if your baby is scared and nervous then it might be best to totally leave them be. Mine wasn't, so I didn't heheheheh (;

coribelle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 10:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

The breeder I got my little guy from said to forget the whole leaving them alone thing and start handling him as soon as I got him home. I spent several hours with him wrapped up in my shirt to get used to my scent and me touching him. From about the early afternoon 'til mid-evening if I recall, then plopped him down in his cage so he could get use to his new home. He was a little anxious around me for the first couple of hours but settled in and got used to being touched relatively quickly. He seems to have turned out okay. Their personality probably plays a major part in how quickly they'll settle in.
Nebular is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 10:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

My little one bonded with me right at the breeders. I was told to leave him in his new cage quietly for a day and then manipulate him immediately the next. Problem was getting him from his crate to the cage. He just wanted to explore me and then cuddle in my arms and fall asleep. So I let him. I think temperament is important. Let the hedgie decide for the first night. You can watch him and if it looks as if he's at ease, go ahead and bond.

Tania is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 10:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

I agree, temperament is important. Leaving them alone for the first day is more of a guideline, and it really depends. We had visited the breeder twice to meet Archimedes and spend time with him before we brought him home, which might have had something to do with it. He was very cuddly and also curious about us - on the way home the first day we stopped by to introduce him to someone in our family (who was at work at the time) and he wasn't stressed or huffy about that visit. At home he spent some time exploring our bed and then a little while exploring the kitchen sink, and then he slept in his bag on my lap for several hours before we put him in his cage. When he woke up on his own later that night we took him out again for 1-2 hours. He did wonderfully, figured out his wheel right away, and started eating his new food without problems. So, yeah, for some hedgehog, being left alone for the first day just isn't necessary. Just go by the hedgehog's behavior, signs of stress, etc. Basically it should be up to them, not us.

USDA licensed breeder in Port Orchard, WA.
Volcano View Hedgehogs
moxieberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2012, 12:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

I agree with everyone above! I brought Julia home last Friday. I had visited her once at the breeders. She seemed fine so after leaving her in the cage for several hours I took her out. She was in a hedgiebag and just layer on my lap for an hour. I think you would definitely know if your hedgie was really stressed.

[/url]
Tabbikat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2012, 07:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

I always recommend leaving baby pretty much alone the first day home to allow him/her to get accustomed to their new cage and not be overwhelmed by being handled. It's fine to have baby out for a short cuddle in the evening, but remember this has been a huge change in babies life and routine. Everything familiar to him/her is now gone so going slow the first day or two will help her feel more secure.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in