Lighting - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2012, 11:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Lighting

Soo of course now that I understand heating fully (thanks to all you wonderful people), I now am confused about lighting.

Shes going to be in my room. Do I really need a lamp on a timer for her from 9am-9pm? Even though there is lots of daylight? I understand on a darker stormy day in which case I would switch on my overhead light. But from around 7am-6pm there is daylight in my room. Also, will it really affect her if there is a light on at night? I'm in my room a lot at night obviously also that is when I intended on playing and cuddling with her a lot. Does the light then bother them? I mean you guys dont play with your hedgies in darkness right? Obviously I can just have my desk lamp on at night when i'm in there and dont need the full overhead light.
Sorry if this is confusing i'm just trying to understand. Theres no where else I can keep her, she has to be in my room. I dont want to put blankets over the cage because she will have a CHE on top of it. Fire hazard.
I guess it will depend on her. If she won't come out if theres any light on i'll have to figure that out. But I think she should be fine with a small amount of light until I go to bed. Shes a baby so it's not like she has had years used to any kind of different schedule.
Any tips would be good.

pink-ster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2012, 12:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Lighting

For me, and from what I have read, I know that I can say that:
Natural light is not really dependable. As winter approaches, the days become shorter and there will be less light, something that may prompt hibernation. You don't necessarily need a timer, but there does need to be some kind of consistent light source turning on and off everyday at the same times other than sunlight.
Also, as for the light at night, that really is something that depends on your hedgehog. Most will not come out at all at night if there is any light - even a laptop screen in a dark room has kept them from waking up and coming out to play/eat, etc. I know mine will not - her light turns off every night at 8, and if we are in the room with the lights on, she doesn't wake up until all the lights are off and we are in bed. However, on the nights that we go out and leave her in the dark, she will wake up as early as 830.
Hopefully this helps (:

coribelle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 12:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

I use a floor lamp on a timer so the light is always on at the same time each day, even though the room he's in can get a fair amount of daylight. As coribelle mentioned, daylight isn't entirely dependable. It may become overcast while you're out or just all day, and daylight hours get longer and shorter with the change of seasons. Without a lamp, the amount of daylight they'd be getting would be inconsistent. I let the timer handle everything just to make sure he's getting light when he should. The only time I touch the lamp is to change the bulb - otherwise the timer tells him when it's "day" and "night".
Nebular is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 03:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

Oh and btw I'm assuming most of us don't play with our hedies in the dark haha at least I don't. I did use just a little lamp in an otherwise dark room at first when he was still timid around me but now Diggory is fine with light as long as I wake him up and get him moving. The light turning off at 9 is just signaling that it is night time for him and that he can come out and run and stuff. So I get him out around 7 or 8 and play with him with the lights on until it automatically clicks off at 9 then I put him in his cage and turn out my overhead light and go downstairs so that he can be alone in the dark.

Some nights I will be on my laptop in my room in the dark past 9 but he never comes out then and I always feel bad, like I'm cutting into his running time and he's not a very active hedgie to begin with lol.

alyssinreality is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 04:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssinreality
Oh and btw I'm assuming most of us don't play with our hedies in the dark haha at least I don't.
I do! I'll take Norman out anywhere between 6:00 and 8:00 for snuggle time. The lights go out around 9:00 but I'll keep him out 'til 10:30 or so. He knows that it's dark and that it's time to start waking up - he'll usually crawl out of my hoodie and splat out right next to me on the couch instead (his snout cannot be more than 1/2" away from me apparently). When he's awake enough, he'll get up, have a good scratch, get some food, and snuggle back in. He's not usually in a wheeling mood until 11:00 or so when he's good and ready, so I'll plop him back in his cage around then or when he makes it very clear that it's time to run.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebular
Quote:
Oh and btw I'm assuming most of us don't play with our hedies in the dark haha at least I don't.
I do! I'll take Norman out anywhere between 6:00 and 8:00 for snuggle time. The lights go out around 9:00 but I'll keep him out 'til 10:30 or so. He knows that it's dark and that it's time to start waking up - he'll usually crawl out of my hoodie and splat out right next to me on the couch instead (his snout cannot be more than 1/2" away from me apparently). When he's awake enough, he'll get up, have a good scratch, get some food, and snuggle back in. He's not usually in a wheeling mood until 11:00 or so when he's good and ready, so I'll plop him back in his cage around then or when he makes it very clear that it's time to run.
That sounds like a nice routine. But I'm assuming you at least have the tv on for light right?

alyssinreality is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 08:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

I sit criss-crossed on the floor in the bright light. It doesn't make a difference if the lights were on or off for Kazooie - when I have her out, she's going to be sleeping or she's going to be adventuring looking for a place to sleep hahaha.

coribelle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 10:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebular
Quote:
That sounds like a nice routine. But I'm assuming you at least have the tv on for light right?
About 50% of the time. If he's out of his cage and knows I'm there, he prefers to snuggle. Every now-and-then he'll go bonkers and run around like and idiot which as far as I can tell means "Nuts to you, human slave! Take me to my wheel!" But that's more nutty-hedgie related than anything to do with light.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in