Licking... Is it normal? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2012, 09:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Licking... Is it normal?

I have been observing Nutmeg over the last week, she is behaving normally including eating and drinking. She is definitely quilling; as I can see her new quills coming through and is slightly more irritable some days. Her skin is also quite dry which I am hoping to pick-up some flax seed oil for.

However I noticed a few things.
1.She licks her nose quite a bit, it doesn't appear like anything is coming from it, but it is quite moist. She is not coughing or sneezing and she is on fleece liners.
2. She a sucking like noise well she sleeps. It sort of sounds like if you had a mouth full of peanut butter and then opened it
3. She seems to be sucking on her feet just before she wakes up, I saw her doing it while I had her in my lap in a hedgie bag.

Are these normal?
alstewar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2012, 10:15 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Licking... Is it normal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstewar
I have been observing Nutmeg over the last week, she is behaving normally including eating and drinking. She is definitely quilling; as I can see her new quills coming through and is slightly more irritable some days. Her skin is also quite dry which I am hoping to pick-up some flax seed oil for.

However I noticed a few things.
1.She licks her nose quite a bit, it doesn't appear like anything is coming from it, but it is quite moist. She is not coughing or sneezing and she is on fleece liners.
2. She a sucking like noise well she sleeps. It sort of sounds like if you had a mouth full of peanut butter and then opened it
3. She seems to be sucking on her feet just before she wakes up, I saw her doing it while I had her in my lap in a hedgie bag.

Are these normal?
Had to quote to answer each question so I wasn't forgetting anything - sorry to take up so much space
1. Is she around new smells when she's licking her nose? Or anything new to her?
2. I can't 100% say is is or isn't normal, but my little girl does it when sleeping every once in a while. I think its a reaction to being away from "mom". When my Mom got her kitten, it would try to lactate a fuzzy blanket... soooo babies tend to do silly things when pulled from mom.
3. Is there anything on her feet? Have you given her a foot bath prior? Are her nails trimmed?

Just a few questions to get the bigger picture
Old 03-06-2012, 10:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

1. She is typically out of her cage and could be getting new smells.
2. That may be the reason as until I got her she lived with mom, as her litter was 3 males and her.
3. sometimes there is, I try to keep her feet clean or to wash them as needed, but they are never really that messy - maybe she is cleaning them?

Old 03-06-2012, 11:09 AM   #4 (permalink)

I think its normal for now then But if you notice anything else new like cuts or marks on her feet or mucous on her nose, then a visit for the vet might be in her best interest. How long have you had her?
Old 03-06-2012, 01:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

She has been with me will be a month on Saturday.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in