Cage cleaning with bleach? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2012, 06:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Cage cleaning with bleach?

I had planned to do the weekly 'big clean' with either dish soap (Ivory) and water, and/or a 50/50 vinegar/water mix, followed by a plain water rinse and dry.

My breeder suggested that I use bleach and water (10% bleach) because that does the best job of killing bacteria. Evidently, that is what the USDA standards require.

So, okay, no problem. Today was the first full cleaning. Most things I washed with soap and water: PVC tunnel, house, et cetera. I used the bleach solution for the Cloroplast box (floor and sides). OMG. 10% is pretty powerful. I've got a huge headache from being around it. I've washed my hands several times and they still reek of it. I didn't even actually touch it very much. I made the solution in a bowl and then put it in a small spray bottle, so, though thorough, I only used a very, very small amount.

I let the cage air out and completely dry while Sophie and I had 'together time'. I was afraid that my hands would bother her, but she paid no mind to the smell at all from what I could tell. (She likes to sleep under my hand.)

My breeder knows a lot more than I do, but was my original plan satisfactory for sanitation and safety? I will certainly use the bleach mix if that is the thing to do, but it was very miserable for me. The mix was accurate, and the area is hardly enclosed.
GoodandPlenty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2012, 06:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Default Re: Cage cleaning with bleach?

I've never used bleach. I can't stand the smell and wouldn't subject the gang to the smell either. There are other products that disinfect just as well as bleach without the smell. Personally, I think vinegar and water works great and has worked for me for 9 years.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 10:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

i dont trust bleach, i have always used vinigar and have actully found my animals has lived much much longer if i only used vinager.
had a hamster since she was baby, cleaned her cage with vinager and she lived 5 years
so thats my two cents

cthom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 12:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

I also prefer to use vinegar. Bleach makes me a bit nervous, plus I'm prone to clumsily spilling and don't want to bleach the carpet in my bedroom. Somehow I don't think my landlord would appreciate that much. I usually make a mixture that's around 1/3 vinegar and 2/3 hot water and it does the trick. It loosens up some of the more icky hedgehog messes (ie. poopy wheels) really easily and vinegar is a natural disinfectant so I feel confident that things are really getting clean. I've taken microbiology classes as a nursing student and I seem to remember my instructor mentioning that a 5% vinegar solution actually kills the same amount of germs as household cleaners that are full of chemicals. The only real downside is that no matter how many times I wash my hands, I still feel like they smell like vinegar. I could just be imagining it, though.

lehaley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 01:02 AM   #5 (permalink)

It sounded fine when it was suggested that it was a step up from what I had planned. My experience and knowledge are so much less, who was I to not take it seriously. But once I got into doing it today, I quickly had a strong feeling that it might do more harm than good, short-term and long-term.

I was very careful to mix the specified 10% ratio, but I got a wicked headache, and the smell was very strong on me and in the room. And I actually used very little, because I deployed it from a spray bottle. Thank goodness I didn't just swab a towel down (which I easily could have). I don't suppose that it hurt anything to do it once, but I'm wishing I hadn't.

I know that bleach has been around a long time, but I usually think of it as a pretty harsh cleaner. Soap-and-water and vinegar-and-water have been used as gentle but effective cleaners and sanitizers for about forever. Unless I get more advice otherwise that sounds compelling, I am definitely going back to Plan A. I'm really regretting the foray into bleach and feel badly about it. I'm paranoid enough about every little thing that Sophie needs.
GoodandPlenty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 10:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

Don't feel bad about it. Using bleach was my first inclination as well until my mom suggested vinegar, and even then I was hesitant because I really HATE the smell of the stuff. My mom used to use it to clean the bathrooms in our house when I was growing up and it always nauseated me. Bleach is a very easy, effective way to disinfect something, so I'm not surprised that it was recommended by both your breeder and the USDA. I really doubt that using it will cause any serious negative effects. I just think it might be better to be safe than sorry in this situation.

lehaley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 01:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

http://www.familymanagement.com/chil...practices.html

I found this article about using bleach as a disinfectant. It says, for the stronger solution (used for cleaning bathrooms, diaper areas, etc.), use 1/4 c bleach to 1 gallon of water. That is a ratio of 1:64. Your breeder told you to use a ratio of 1:10. Child care practices use less bleach in their strongest solution than your breeder. I would do some research on best practices if you want to use bleach. And make sure you rinse surfaces with plain water when finished cleaning.

I use a vinegar/water solution and I'm confident that it works well.

~Everyone deserves a forever home.~

Rainy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in