Hedgie doesnt like toys - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2012, 10:50 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hedgie doesnt like toys

I've had my Hedgie, Dexter, for about 8 months now. I have tried a slew of toys with him, but he is not interested in anything but his wheel. I was just wondering if most hedgehogs act like this initially, and then get used to the toys, or if I just happened to get a non-playful, lazy hedgie. If anybody has any suggestions or tips for me, they would much appreciated.... thanks!!

http://www.TickerFactory.com
MLL389 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2012, 11:04 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Hedgie doesnt like toys

I think a lot of hedgies aren't interested in toys. I've only had Diggory for about a month but all he will do is knock his stuffie over each night. (and I know it isn't an accident because I put it out of the way in the corner ) He won't even go in his tubes anymore like he did at first.

I was going to try a bell with him(one with an open bottom and a dingy thing in it, not one with a slit and a metal ball in it because they can get their tounges stuck in that) under supervision because I've heard that some like bells.

alyssinreality is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 10:08 AM   #3 (permalink)

Some just aren't the playing kind. For the most part, Norman refuses to play with any toy. He tried the little ball with a bell in it but scared himself when he shook it and it jingled so he never touched in since. He's had a Kong, a few different balls, little fleece mice, fleece strips, a dig box, etc. and will go out of his way to walk around them rather than play with them. The only thing apart from his wheel that he's actually taken any sort of interest in is his PVC pipe, but rather than crawl through it, he runs up to it and shoves it around with his snout for a few seconds, then gets bored with it and goes off to do something else. He would just rather run and snuggle.
Nebular is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 11:39 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssinreality
I think a lot of hedgies aren't interested in toys. I've only had Diggory for about a month but all he will do is knock his stuffie over each night. (and I know it isn't an accident because I put it out of the way in the corner ) He won't even go in his tubes anymore like he did at first.

I was going to try a bell with him(one with an open bottom and a dingy thing in it, not one with a slit and a metal ball in it because they can get their tounges stuck in that) under supervision because I've heard that some like bells.
Felix has a little plastic hedgehog shaped dog toy that I put in the corner of his cage and he knocks over every night. I'm not sure if it's because he doesn't like it or he just doesn't know what else to do with it. He definitely likes bells, though. I bought him a set of ferret toys shaped like sports balls that have little bells in them and he absolutely LOVES them. I hear him pushing them around his cage every night, and they're made of solid plastic with no holes so I feel comfortable leaving him with them unsupervised. I found them at PetCo, but I've also seen them in a few other pet stores.

http://www.petco.com/product/109253/Pet ... oys-109253

lehaley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 06:15 AM   #5 (permalink)

Henry doesn't seem to care much for toys either. I do hear him at night push his little ball with a bell in it, for all of a minute

OctoberBride17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 09:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

I haven't heard of a whole lot of hedgies that actually go out of their way to play with toys. There are obviously plenty that will, but I'd say the majority stick to just running on their wheel and attempting to make their cage a disaster.

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 10:38 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lehaley
Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssinreality

Felix has a little plastic hedgehog shaped dog toy that I put in the corner of his cage and he knocks over every night. I'm not sure if it's because he doesn't like it or he just doesn't know what else to do with it. He definitely likes bells, though. I bought him a set of ferret toys shaped like sports balls that have little bells in them and he absolutely LOVES them. I hear him pushing them around his cage every night, and they're made of solid plastic with no holes so I feel comfortable leaving him with them unsupervised. I found them at PetCo, but I've also seen them in a few other pet stores.

http://www.petco.com/product/109253/Pet ... oys-109253
Those look great! And with his new cage I have all kinds of room to spoil him with toys. I hope they have something like that at petsmart, petco is kind of out of my way.

alyssinreality is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 02:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

Izzy doesn't play with toys much, but does love tunnels and sleep sacks, hiding places. Harvey has one toy that he loves. We found this little concrete hedgie at an art fair and I thought it would be great to put in Harvey's cage. He pushes it all over the place. I'll see it by the water, by the wheel, by the food. Then I think, is he trying to feed it and care for it? Then I saw him one night and he was.... having some intimate time with it and it just gets pushed around.

~Everyone deserves a forever home.~

Rainy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 03:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

My hedgie's name is Dexter too
My Dexter loves flower pots... its the only thing he'll play with
I went to Michael's and got some little ones and he pushes them around all night

DexterTheHog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 03:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

DexterTheHog, I absolutely LOVE your signature picture. Dr. Dexter to the rescue?

lehaley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in