Strange new behaviour involving poop! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2012, 03:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Strange new behaviour involving poop!

Background:
For the past month I have been house-sitting across town. I fully moved back on Friday. When I was away I had Annabelle with me and kept her in her old C&C cage. She is now back in her regular modified china cabinet cage that she was in pre-house sitting.
Annabelle has always been a wheeling machine! I go to bed at midnight and she is wheeling and when I wake up at 6am she is still wheeling.
She has a pink CSBW.

the Problem:
Since I have "moved" back home I have noticed that Annabelle's wheel has been very clean and she is not pooping on it anymore. I haven't heard her wheeling at night but I have also been sleeping like a rock. Last night I put flour on her wheel and you can see she was using it, but I'm not sure if she ran on it or just stood/walked around without the wheel moving.
She has been pooping like normal (also like a machine!!) but pooping near her food and water dishes (about 4 inches away from her wheel).
She is acting normal with the exception of maybe not wheeling and pooping elsewhere. Should I be concerned? Should I flour her wheel again tonight? Has anyone else experienced this? Should I get her a litter box?

I'm very confused!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2012, 04:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Breeders

Default Re: Strange new behaviour involving poop!

Make sure the wheel is spinning freely and make sure the wheel is not tilted to much. You could try the lowest height setting maybe she's having a tuff time climbing aboard. Are her nails in need of a trim? Sorry that's all I have.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm going through the exact same thing! Holden was at his babysitter's while I was away, and when I brought him home there was no poop on his wheel. I did the flour thing too and he is going on it, but I'm not sure for how long. He is also pooping at his food and water dish which is very close to his litter box. I brought him to the vet and he got a clean bill of health so I am still confused.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

This is bad.
I got home from school just now and went to get Annabelle out of her cage first thing and she was in a very tight ball. It took me about five minutes to get her out and she is very cold to the touch. I realized right away that she is attempting hibernation. This is something that is really freaking me out. She is currently underneath my shirt and shivering. I didn't get a chance to look at the temperature in her cage because I was in such a panic. I am not going to bed until she is warm and when I am I will be running a space heater all night to hopefully up the temperature in her cage.
I am going to water her food and water intake and if she is not feeling better tomorrow I will take her to the vet. I have moderate to high anxiety and this is freaking me out a lot. I am trying to keep calm. I love her so much and hope nothing happens to her.

Please send your prayers and good thoughts my way. I do not know if her strange behaviour was a precursor to this hibernation attempt.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in