Hedhehogs and toilet rolls - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-29-2012, 09:15 AM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Hedhehogs and toilet rolls

Hello all,

First off I have found website and forums a great help in preparing myself to purchase a hedgehog for my mid teen daughter. I've learned a great deal about the needs and requirements of having a hedgehog pet and I'm still actively reading and learning.

My daughters hedgehog is 3 months old and we have purchased a few toys but we thought we would try a toilet paper roll as seen and suggested by many owners. The hedgehog rolled it around for awhile and then bit the bottem lip. It brings the roll over and seems to like abit of tug and war with it as he seems to come back over and over for the little game.

However we noticed that he was biting and either chewing and spitting or swalling and spitting up the roll. He twists his body and deposits the chewed up roll on his quills and carries on sometimes he does this multiple times. After realizing what he was doing we removed the roll but as a toy it seems to be his favourite. Is this normal behavour or should we just not give him any more rolls?

Also to note, he tends to bite and pull on carpet too. Not sure if thats related or not but he's only biten once and it was after if was liking my hand for awhile.
Masamune is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2012, 09:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Hedhehogs and toilet rolls

The twisting and licking is called anointing, and is totally normal behavior. Hedgehogs usually anoint after a new or interesting smell or texture. My Kazooie rarely does it, but when she does, it is usually over feet or my jeans. I wouldn't worry unless the tube was actually being ingested. The carpet thing is normal, too (: so no worries (:

coribelle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 10:37 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you very much. This puts my mind at ease
Masamune is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 10:47 AM   #4 (permalink)

Marvin annoits over everything. He'll start to chew and tug on whatever it is (sweatshirt, dirty sock, towel etc). Then all the sudden he will freeze and yes start spreading foam all over himself, he gets so focused on spreading the foam all over himself that he will fall over... This is completely normal but yes its caused my roommates and boyfriend to call me screaming that Marvin has rabies or is dying.
chelsea.kang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 02:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

So far Diggory only annoints over my bracelet, my boyfriend's scent(literally, anything that has to do with him haha its so funny), and a wet wipe.
Is the wet wipe bad? I don't think he would be ingesting any of the soap, I mean they do it with poisonous things in the wild right?

alyssinreality is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 02:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssinreality
So far Diggory only annoints over my bracelet, my boyfriend's scent(literally, anything that has to do with him haha its so funny), and a wet wipe.
Is the wet wipe bad? I don't think he would be ingesting any of the soap, I mean they do it with poisonous things in the wild right?
APH aren't found in the wild, so no one would really know what types of poison they may be susceptible to. And it would depend on the ingredients that are in the wet wipe. Is it strongly scented? Antibacterial? Without knowing what chemicals are in the wipe, and how our hedgehogs may react to each chemical, I would err on the side of caution and not let it happen again.
Immortalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 02:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortalia
APH aren't found in the wild, so no one would really know what types of poison they may be susceptible to. And it would depend on the ingredients that are in the wet wipe. Is it strongly scented? Antibacterial? Without knowing what chemicals are in the wipe, and how our hedgehogs may react to each chemical, I would err on the side of caution and not let it happen again.
Perhaps a silly questions, but what is APH?
Old 02-29-2012, 02:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

African Pygmy Hedgehog
chelsea.kang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2012, 12:58 AM   #9 (permalink)

Hahahah...yeah, I realised that after I posted. Whoops.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in