Got a new boy, he's moody. - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2012, 09:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Got a new boy, he's moody.

So i got a new 6 or 7 week (breeder wasn't specific enough) old over the weekend, and his first day in he was a champion as far as being friendly and climbing all over me when I was just trying to sit and watch tv.

Fast forward 24 hours (to Monday)
-- he woke up around 9 (I have lights out at 7), ate a little, pooped a lot, and whenever I got close to the cage he would roll up and huff like mad.
-- this (Tuesday) morning (around 5:30am) he was still up, with poop everywhere and food dish emptier than I left it so he's good on that front. But again, I came up to the cage and he curl and puff without me even touching him, just standing next to cage.
-- right now (8pm Tuesday) he is still sleeping, lights out was an hour ago.

The breeder said it is normal for them to sleep 20 hours a day for the first few weeks, and that is almost what it looks like. This sucks because I can't squeeze in much play time (only stay up to 10 or 11 most nights). Also he is all super huffy and puffy, so what is my best approach here? Am I doing more harm than good if I try to pick him up? Will he go on the attack? What should I be doing for these first few crucial weeks?
orangecones3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2012, 09:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Got a new boy, he's moody.

just scoop him up he might be pokey but he shouldn't 'attack' i've never heard of a hedgie doing that. There's no harm in letting him hang out with you while he's asleep goodluck with the little guy
ashh51191 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 09:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

It's normal for them to curl up when u get close to the cage. He's still getting used to all the new smells, sounds etc. don't b discouraged. Also, u don't have to wait for him to be moving around his cage to cuddle. I cuddle with my little one at any time of the day (shes super friendly) but most hedgie owners wait until the evening like around 8 or 9. To avoid being poked, gently pick ur little one up with a fleece blanket n just put him on ur lap. He may stay balled up the entire time, but it's still considered bonding because he's learning ur not a threat. Be patient and he'll start to come around. Every hedgie is different and each takes thier own amount of time to open up.

nualasmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 09:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

This Sounds Like My Hedgie When we first got her. We were scooping here up in a LARGE metal spoon. When we got her out, she would be fine.
Bluegill7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 11:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

He's at the age where he'll be quilling, so grumpiness is perfectly normal and to be expected. You should still get him out every night for bonding time, even if he's grumpy the whole time. You'll still be getting him on a schedule of daily handling (which, given time, he may come to expect when you'll come to get him out and be less upset about it), he'll still be getting to know your smell and that you won't hurt him, etc. If you're afraid of being poked, you can pick him up with a fleece blanket or a used t-shirt, which you can then hold him in while you guys cuddle. I would avoid touching his back up, since quilling makes their skin so sore. Just hang out with him and take your cues from him. Let him explore if he wants to, or if he doesn't seem to be comfortable doing that, cover him with a blanket or something and see if that gives him more confidence, or if he wants to sleep. Sleeping on you still counts as bonding time, weird as it sounds. Just have patience with the little one - he's had a lot of changes, and quilling is no fun at all. Once he gets through that, he may come around and be friendly again.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 11:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

update... got about 90 minutes in.

picked him up with blanket, and he spent most of the time in the blanket. First he just slept on me for almost an hour while I was using the computer, then he woke up a little, but still wouldn't leave the blanket fort. As I was walking him back to the cage, he suddenly showed a little activity and started smelling my fleece shirt, then biting it, and then anointing. I guess he likes my shirt. So I decided what the ****, and took him to the kitchen to whip out some mealies. After 3 or 4 attempts of trying him to bite, he chose to ignore it altogether and instead squeezed out the biggest poop yet (fortunately, into the blanket). Thinking the coast was clear, I let him roam around a little bit, and just as it happened, the moment he returned to the blanket he peed, and then another (smaller) poop. At that point, being confident the coast was clear, I let him climb on my shirt again. Once again he tried biting at it and then anointing. Then, he crawled out to where my hands were (at the end of the sleeves obviously) and started licking, and biting, at my fingers. Most of the time I got away, but he got a few solid bites in.

Moral of the story: I am food, my shirt is awesome.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

lol, that's a good moral.

It's risky to hand-feed them anything because they will associate your fingers with deliciousness. The shirt seems to have worked out fine, I would keep using it.

Keep it up, things sound like they are going okay (except for the biting)
Old 02-29-2012, 09:48 AM   #8 (permalink)

He sounds cute.

Yeah the biting at your fingers is just because you probably smelt like food since you were handling the mealies. To avoid the biting, just wash your hands with unscented soap before playing around with him. If he licks your finger, pull away because that means he is trying to decide if you are food or not, and if you taste good enough, he'll chomp.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

I think he is broken. Tried to toss him a mealie and he ignored it completely. Toss him a kibble and he is all over it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in