Smellyyyy - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2012, 10:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Smellyyyy

Diggory gets stinky very fast. And I know you aren't supposed to give them a full bath more than once a month. Is this just a normal thing I need to get used to or is he particulary smelly and I need to do something about it? I try to change his fleece twice a week, am I not doing it enough? He doesn't poop everywhere, only on his wheel and paper towel but he may be peeing where he sleeps. (from the smell of him I think this is very likely)

alyssinreality is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2012, 11:05 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Smellyyyy

i would try not to give him a bath too much because it will dry out his skin & can be stressful. I'm not sure if it's safe maybe someone will know but there is dry shampoo for cats & dogs. Maybe that can be used? I've thought of using it myself...
ashh51191 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 11:18 AM   #3 (permalink)

What's in his food? I know that hedgies with fish in their diets tend to have stinkier poop/pee and maybe that's contributing to his stinkiness.

I change my liner once a week, and I change Kashi's snuggle sack every few days, and Kashi doesn't really smell. He obviously still has that hedgehog smell, but not to a point where I find him extremely stinky.

I give Kashi a bath once every three weeks/a month because of my allergies, but I know some hedgehogs could get dry skin from being washed that often.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:27 AM   #4 (permalink)

There's no fish in his food. I do need to wash his snuggle sack but I don't do that often because I'm using a hand sewed one right now until I get money to buy a good one :P but even his snuggle sack doesn't smell that bad, just like a hedgehog. Diggy just smells like pee lol.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:52 AM   #5 (permalink)

Aaha well I'd imagine lots of pee gets on them when they're running >_<
Do you give him regular foot baths? Maybe that will help hmmm
Old 02-28-2012, 11:57 AM   #6 (permalink)

yep, I do them every other day. I would do them every day because he gets his feet really dirty but he hates it so much that it makes me sad lol. I don't want him to think of me as that person that sticks him in water every time I get near him.
I tried wiping his feet down with a baby wipe but he just annointed with it and then got mad at me for trying to pick the crusties off his feet.

He's such a stubborn little boy.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Babies tend to smell stronger than adults and often as they reach maturity the smell, as well as the poop amount lessens. Babies not only have stronger smelling poop, but pee as well but there are some adult, both male and female that continue to have stronger smelling urine. About all you can do is more frequent cage and bedding cleanings and if necessary, baths. Hopefully as he gets older, his smell won't be as strong.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 08:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

Lucy is 2 years she doesnt smell at all I never smell anything, she has a foot bath every 2 days likes the tub and she pees usually in there even has a poop sometimes, when that happens she runs on her wheel after and no poop yay, her poop doesnt stink either thank goodness.

But I hear you about stinky I have a beardie Male that stinks right now because its matting season and he has a manly scent about him lol

Joanne

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in