Bonding Question??? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2012, 12:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Bonding Question???

Alright well I'm a hedgehog newbie and i finally picked up my first baby a little over a week ago & i noticed that she's quilling... she's 7 weeks. I'm trying not to hurt her too much when picking her up, but she always balls up when i go near her, so i have to pick her up with a blanket... i try to pet her, and i try to play with her, but she keeps freaking out when i go near her... i know we're supposed to bond with our hedgie at least 30 min everyday, but this is the best i can do... if she falls asleep on a blanket on me, does that count as bonding/handling??
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2012, 12:44 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Bonding Question???

My Agatha was incredibly friendly towards me from the start, but I am aware that this is not that common. She doesn't like to play at all, and at first she didn't like it when I got near her face, however I have noticed that only by letting her sleep on top of me things got even better and now she doesn't huff nor puff anymore, and that is only with me because to everyone else she reacts a lot and doesn't let them near her, specially not near her face. So, I don't know much about other hedgehogs, but with Agatha just by being beside me not even petting her nor playing with her counted as bonding

Agatha's birthday: 24-December-2011
vasogoma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 12:59 AM   #3 (permalink)

Yes, it counts! Just sleeping on you is still letting her get comfortable with your smell, and your movements and sounds. And talking to her quietly may help too as she will get used to the sounds of your voice and associate it with comfy feelings.

She is still very young and given time, she will get more comfortable with you and her surroundings. The quilling is also going to make her extra jumpy, but don't let it discourage you.

Just keep up with what you're doing, try to maintain a calm and relaxed mood when picking her up and handling her (because she can probably tell if you're nervous about it), and be patient with her.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

As others have said, yes it counts as bonding if she falls asleep on you ^_^

She probably does not want to be petted because new quills are coming in and that is probably very painful for her. It's normal for even the friendliest hogs to ball up when you first pick them up. Kashi, who is super friendly, still balls up/huffs when I first take him out of his igloo, but will unball very quickly.

Some hogs also don't like getting petted in general. You could try petting her back, but many don't like it when you pet the skirt of their quills, or go near their face.

Just be patient. It sounds like you're doing everything right

Treats also help
Old 02-29-2012, 10:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks everybody! I guess it just takes a little more time than i thought. One thing that I did notice, when i bathe her (I try not to do it too often, but she sure gets dirty :X) she lets me pet her a lot and she walks to my hand, unlike when she's in her cage.. especially when I'm keeping her in a towel until she's dry (:
Old 03-01-2012, 03:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

I've only had my little boy about a week, but each night I take him out to play and cuddle, he seems to get more relaxed. The first few nights were frustrating, he just huffed and puffed and stayed in a ball. But after just a week, he is more interested in walking around and exploring the couch. I was thrilled to bits when he basically crawled into my hands when I took him out of his cage last night, rather than huffing and hiding under his liner.

I don't have much experience, but it seems patience is the key. He seems to totally dig his foot baths, he skitters around the sink then just wants to run around and dig when I dry him off. Each day he gives me a little reward of showing new behaviors and more interest in me and my boyfriend. I even got a little hedgie kiss yesterday.

Good luck with your little one!
Old 03-02-2012, 12:28 AM   #7 (permalink)

Here's Jade sleeping in her blanket on my lap (:
Old 03-02-2012, 12:32 AM   #8 (permalink)

Aaweeee...Jade is beautiful and it looks like the bonding is getting better. She's falling asleep on your lap, so she has to be relaxing a bit. So glad that's working.

~Everyone deserves a forever home.~

Rainy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2012, 11:42 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks (: at least now i know that her puffing up when i pick her up isn't a bad thing.... it's normal.

Thanks all who answered. I really appreciate your inputs and advice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in