Vet Visit, what to expect? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Artemis-Ichiro
  • 1 Post By wushu1987

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2016, 09:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Mix

Default Vet Visit, what to expect?

Hello, I have made a lot of recent posts about my hedgie Thistle, and she is going to the vet soon. I'm not sure to be excited or worried. I have compiled a list of things to ask her vet about, and I would love to know if you guys have any tips or knowledge onto what to expect.
  • Do her nails need trimmed?
  • Why is she not running on her wheel as much?
  • She was acting very strange for a few days, but now she is normal. Why?
  • The person I got her from said she was 6 months old, can you confirm that? (not sure what to expect here)
  • Will/Is she going to start to quill if she is 6 months old
  • Is waking her up to bond as unhealthy as people portray it to be? If so, what are the best times to bond with her without disturbing her?

I'm sorry if that's a lot of questions, and hopefully my vet will not be annoyed. But as she is my first hedgie and I only want the best for her, I feel too many questions is better than not enough.

Again, thank you all for the help you have been giving Thistle and I, I really appreciate it. Today she crawled into my hand just because she was curious (She balled up when i moved but I was too happy to even care) and she let me pick her up and take her back to her cage without hissing and popping once.
Mix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2016, 10:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

One thing I can tell you is that a lot of vets who treat hedgehogs don't really know much so take anything they say with a grain of salt. The vet I took Ichiro for its first check up wanted to put him under just to check a healthy hedgehog because he turned into a ball, she didn't know how to get him out, when I asked her for a bowl with some water to get him to uncurl, she gave me a bowl with really cold
water and told me to feed him hedgehog food; needless to say, I am not going back to that vet.

Some owners in this forum have far more experience than some vets so you have to decide who to believe.

About waking your hedgie to bond, they are nocturnal animals so their schedule is opposite to ours and it is not fair to make an animal change its normal behavior to fit our wants (I don't know what time you wake it to bond).

Regarding the nails length, you can google
It or look up on here, there are pictures that show you how they are supposed to be and how much to cut them.
Mix likes this.
Artemis-Ichiro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2016, 03:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

Don't be worried about going to the vet! And remember if you don't like the vet after you meet you can always change. I'm lucky to have found an awesome vet who is pretty experienced with hedgies (his daughter even has a hedgie). Don't worry about asking too many questions. Let the vet know that this is your first hedgie and you want to make sure you do everything right. It's their job to help new pet owners be able to provide proper care for their pets. I'm sure your questions will be nothing new for them and it just shows how much you care. And congrats on the progress you are making with bonding! It's such a rewarding experience when they start to trust you, even a little!
Mix likes this.
wushu1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 08:38 AM   #4 (permalink)

Know that they may not help at all that's a very good chance
mono832 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2016, 09:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Mix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis-Ichiro View Post
Regarding the nails length, you can google
It or look up on here, there are pictures that show you how they are supposed to be and how much to cut them.
I have seen the pictures and whatnot, but since we are still in the early stages of bonding, she won't let me trim her nails as well as I need to take her to the vet anyways because we were experiencing some odd behavior for a few days.
Old 11-22-2016, 09:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
Mix

And thanks to everyone else who chipped in as well, I'm hoping my vet will be good. I have read about a lot of people coming to an inexperienced vet and I will just have to cross my fingers. They have a lot of good reviews, and even a good review on these forums so wish Thistle luck!

Also, I never wake Thistle up at a set time except early in the morning (usually on accident) when I spot clean her cage or clean it in general. At night, before I take her out, I usually just whisper to her and turn her light off at the same time so she knows its time to wake up. In the mornings, I sleep a bit inconsistently, but I will turn her light on at around the same time. Usually before 8am so she has a little over 12 hours of light.
Old 11-22-2016, 11:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

Put a desk lamp on a timer and you won't have to worry.

If the nails are long and it doesn't let you get beat them then it needs to b put under and havevit done by the vet.

Good luck and hope you have a great vet. I already found one who I know has experience and is good...
Artemis-Ichiro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in