Normal weight fluctuation? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2012, 11:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Normal weight fluctuation?

Okay so I'm not really worried, because he is acting completely normal and eating plenty, but I've been weighing Diggory every night and his weight fluctuation shocks me a little. For the past four nights it has been 278g, 289g, 293g, 263g. And maybe it was five days, because I think there was another 278g somewhere in there.

Tonight is definitely the lowest. But nothing has changed and he is as active as ever. I have been weighing him around the same time each night, 9pm.
The only thing I can think of is that he eats all of the RC babycat first so one day his belly will be full of that, and then I leave the adult cat in there till he eats it(always the next night) and he finishs that off so there will be a day with only that in his belly.
Could that really cause that much difference?

I also know that he is only 2 months and is growing rapidly and all. Just curious.

alyssinreality is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2012, 11:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Normal weight fluctuation?

There was just a similar topic and someone (I think it was LizardGirl?) said that more than 4g difference between one day and the next is cause for concern, though of course it's going to vary a little bit depending on the hedgehog. What applies to an adult isn't going to apply to a baby, in terms of weight increase, but decrease of more than a few g in a day (which could just be a matter of what's in the stomach, recent bowel movement, etc.) would worry me. Those numbers look fine for a 8 week old, since that that age they're going to be gaining potentially 30g+ in a week, except for the 263g. If that's not from you accidentally mistyping it or something, a decrease of 30g in a day would definitely be a problem.

USDA licensed breeder in Port Orchard, WA.
Volcano View Hedgehogs
moxieberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 11:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

I know, and I almost don't believe it. I turned it off and on and put him on it a couple times and got the same thing each time. I think the scale is really inaccurate though. It's just a cheap one I got from walmart.
We'll see what his weight is tomorrow I guess..
I know that nothing has happened to him between last night and tonight. And he wasn't lethargic or anything and half of his food was gone when I looked, as it always is each day. I will count the adult kibble that is left in the bowl before I go to sleep and see what it is in the morning. Cept he is probably already eating right now so if he does it all now then that count won't be accurate anyway lol.

If it says 278 again tomorrow then I know I have a screwy scale.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:02 AM   #4 (permalink)

Yeah, if there's nothing else with him to suggest a problem, activity and eating and whatever else is all normal, I'd wait and see what tomorrow's weight is. It could be some kind of glitch with the scale, or the surface you had it on wasn't quite even, or somehow the 'at zero' setting was accidentally messed up, or who knows. You could try checking the accuracy with a nickel, which are supposed to show as exactly 5g.

Volcano View Hedgehogs
Old 02-26-2012, 12:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

hey good news! I tested it with a nickel like you said and it came out to 5g. Then curiosity got the best of me and I got him out and tried it again. (he was really mad at me! lol especially since i tried it back and fourth with the nickel and him and the nickel made a loud clank noise in order for me to put it on the glass without applying weight) It read consistently as 271g when I put him on it.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:27 AM   #6 (permalink)

That's still kind of low compared to the others, but I get the hunch it's not something to worry about, especially since that number is so much different from the one earlier today. Could just be a weird crappy scale, or I don't know, he had a particularly large poop? Lol. I can't really comment on my own experience with daily fluctuations, since we only weigh Archimedes weekly, but as long as the bizarre weigh drops don't keep happening, and there's nothing else to suggest a problem, I wouldn't worry about it. You could try picking a day, maybe whatever day of the week he was born on, and keep track of how much his overall change is over the course of each full week, since day to day will probably always be a little up or down compared to the day before. It's like how a person keeping track of weight loss or something will measure it every day, but you're supposed to only really pay attention to the weekly ones, otherwise daily fluctuations will drive a person nuts, haha.

Volcano View Hedgehogs
Old 02-26-2012, 12:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

Yeah I was mainly only doing every day since I was unsure about this scale and am really trying to put it to the test. I think the 293g reading was wrong too, to be honest. I am going to put the nickel on it every time now before I put him on it that way I know it is the correct reading. Once I get comfortable with that I am going to start weighing weekly and writing it down.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:45 AM   #8 (permalink)

I had mentioned in a recent thread that for Inky, a change in his weight more than 4 grams overnight was something I take extra note of. That's just what works for me, Inky, and the scale I use - every hedgehog will be a bit different. I weigh pre-poop, and if you let your hedgie potty before weighing the weight can vary a LOT, up to 20 grams according to one rescue.

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2012, 02:39 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardGirl
I had mentioned in a recent thread that for Inky, a change in his weight more than 4 grams overnight was something I take extra note of. That's just what works for me, Inky, and the scale I use - every hedgehog will be a bit different. I weigh pre-poop, and if you let your hedgie potty before weighing the weight can vary a LOT, up to 20 grams according to one rescue.
Yeah, I just remembered you mentioning the 4g - and also that it was for Inky in particular, which is why I said it would be different for every hedgehog. :] I had already figured, just from curiosity, that weight before/after pooping and peeing will vary. I tried it at some point with Archimedes; usually gets weighed whenever I happen to remember on each Friday, so not immediately, meaning he's pooped and whatever beforehand, but at some point I wanted to try it both before and after, and if I remember correctly it was a difference of 14g or so that time. The way I figure it, if you consider the weight of a nickel (5g) - which really doesn't feel like much of anything in your hand - it makes a lot of sense that a good-sized poop could be several times that much.

Volcano View Hedgehogs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in