New Hedgie will be here next week..... - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2012, 11:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New Hedgie will be here next week.....

And its sooner then i was expecting her. She will now be here when she is 8 weeks old, i have a few questions before she gets her because shell be little and i thought i had more time to prepare.

1) i know people put old tshirts theyve worn in with hedgies. should myself and my boyfriend do this so she knows us both. or would it be confusing?
2) whens shes out for play time after a few days, should i try and keep things quiet or get her use to normal sounds ie) dishwash running, radio, things like that
3) i know she needs to be quarentined for a month but how close can her cage be kept to Quillo's and it still be okay?
4) ill be keeping her in quillos old cage and giving quillo a new one. Do i have to do any special disinfecting before i put her in? or just how i would regularly clean Ok?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2012, 12:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: New Hedgie will be here next week.....

Oh, I bet your so excited!

1. It is okay to put both your shirts in with her.
2. I would think that is up to you, but since you have another hedgehog, I would keep her in the room where you are quarantine-ing and make sure it is quiet in that room until she gets settled.
3. Nancy would be a good one to talk about quarantine measures. But, what I did when I brought Izzy into our home was keep her in a room where no other animals are (or could gain access), and after you handle her, wash thoroughly every where she's touched you and then change your clothing before interacting with other animals in other parts of the house. There may be other safety measures but I don't know what those are.
4. If Quillow is healthy, I would think just cleaning with a regular vinegar/water solution would be fine. Again though, I would defer that question to someone that knows more about quarantine and safety procedures.

Best wishes with your new one!

~Everyone deserves a forever home.~

Rainy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in