Vet visit went well other than 1 thing! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2012, 11:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Vet visit went well other than 1 thing!

So I took Jessie and Zoey to the vet as I have had them both from almost a year now. The vet picked up Jessie and asked me if I was sure she was female because she'd never seen one so small, especially compared to her baby Zoeym who is 800 grams, while Jessie is only 250. She knocked them out and did the exam and came back to say shed never seen a more fit hedgehog than Jessie, and went on about how in shape she is and how healthy she looked, it made me happy However she said Zoey needs to lose half her body weight, which I assumed would have to happen, she just doesn't like to run on her whell like Jessie does, must of inherited all her dad's genes, whoever he may be haha. Anyways my question is what food should I give Zoey to help with weightloss? They are both in the same cage but Jessie gets lots of mealworms so shes getting the extra fat Zoey won't touch them go figure lol. The vet recommended IAMS, the weight loss one, is this okay? She said that chicken soup for the soul lead to issues in either the liver or the urinary tract, can't recall atmXD
dannielle1421 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2012, 12:27 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Vet visit went well other than 1 thing!

The first thing that I'm going to comment on is the fact that you have two hedgies in one cage. I'm sure that there are people out there who housed two females together for years without trouble but there are horror stories as well. I would strongly recommend splitting them up ASAP.

For food, I really like Blue Buffalo Weight Control. You can get it at PetSmart, it's in the yellow bag. Small kibble size, and my Basil wolfs it down. Rumor has it that Iams is not good for hedgies. The Blue Buffalo Spa Select line is not too expensive and higher quality.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

I wouldn't worry about them living together, females once they're bonded usually do just fine, and it could even depress them to separate them.

I'm a little worried though that the vet is telling you that decent food causes problems and that instead you should feed crappy food. There isn't a single IAMS formula I would feed. There are lots of other good cat foods out there though, the Blue Buffalo one CoxMD mentioned is good as well as any higher quality cat food aimed towards indoor cats (made for less active animals).

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 08:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

A mother and daughter pair that have been living together for a year are usually nothing to worry about. I agree with Lizard, to separate them may cause them to get depressed.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2012, 10:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

haha yea Jessie and Zoey are mom and daughter, they are great together Okay I shall stick with chicken soup for the soul light and also get some blue buffalo Thanks guys!
dannielle1421 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in