New hedgie mommy! Need help with huffing new baby! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2012, 02:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Arrow New hedgie mommy! Need help with huffing new baby!

So i just got my little hedgie last night (Kiara) and when ever i get close to her she pops and huffs! I believe she is quilling also, but i just wanna cuddle! Is there any tips on how to calm her down? She already has a shirt of mine with my scent that she sleeps in instead of her igloo, but i dont know what else to do! Also, how long should i leave her in her cage before i start to try to hold her? And any tips on trying to hold a huffing hedgie? I got pricked a lot! Please and thank you!
raindawgg13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2012, 03:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Re: New hedgie mommy! Need help with huffing new baby!

Time and patience. She needs time to realize that the new home she's in isn't scary. And patience on your part to not be too forceful in making her do things while she adjusts.

I use a receiving type blanket to hold them in (or under), or you can use a snuggle bag to hold her in so that she feels a bit more secure.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 03:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

I just got my hedgie, Roamer Iggi (aka Roamer), about a month ago.
All the babies I handled when picking Roamer out were huffy. And Roamer was huffy when we brought him home (and still is every time you wake him up). I use a small piece of fleece folded in half so that it's two layers and then scoop him up into a ball. Then I lay him onto a thicker piece of fleece right side up. I will bribe him with a meal worm or two (I use freeze dried because live ones give me the creeps) and I put his food bowl out with me. I also fold up some paper towels and set them under him. He will eat a little, then I let him smell me and pet him (originally I was petting him through the fleece) from the forehead back.
You WILL get pooped and peed on almost every single time you want to hold your baby, it happens. Most critters will use the restroom immediately upon waking. You will get pricked as well, they are sharp, but you will get used to it.
Also, move slowly and try to not make any loud noises. They don't see super well and get huffy and spikey when startled.
Huffing is normal behavior. With regular handling (we handle Roamer every night) your baby will calm down quicker and quicker.

Hope that helps

Old 02-21-2012, 03:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

Picking her up from the breeder last night i got pooped on 3 times and peed on once! Thank you both very much! I know this has nothing to do with the original post, but are hamster balls okay for hedgies?
Old 02-21-2012, 03:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

Congrats on ur new hedgie! From reading a lot on here, I've learned that hamster balls aren't good for hedgies for several reasons. First they can catch thier toes/nails in the little holes. Secondly, they would b rolling around in thier pee n poo since they usually do that while wheeling. The best thing is to have a wheel (I prefer Larry's CSW the best) and some even put in 4" PVC pipes so they can run through the
Hope that helps.

nualasmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 03:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

I Already have both of those! (: my boyfriend thinks im spoiling my hesgie... But she is my baby! Of course ima spoil her! (:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in