what type of heat bulb? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2012, 05:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default what type of heat bulb?

hi we been reasurching on our hedgehog before she comes. but i herd if its a little chilly for them use a heat bulb. what type? like the ones they use for reptiles? just curious is all. we wanna get the facts right we have everything for her ahead of time just curious is all.
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2012, 06:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: what type of heat bulb?

Yes, it would be the same type of ceramic heat emitters used for reptiles. Just make sure it's not the kind that emits light, and make sure that you have a thermostat that controls the heat
Old 02-14-2012, 06:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Just want to clarify on temperature information as well...Make sure you guys are prepared to give temperatures of above 73. I know there's a LOT of websites, books, etc. that still give something like 70-80 or 68 and above as acceptable temperatures, but 71 and below is usually still cool for most hedgies. Just want to make sure you have the correct information.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 07:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

ok thank you for the information.i been looking on ebay for a c&c cage http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-28-x-56-Gui ... 0112795299

i was wondering also will they chew on the side (coroplast).
Old 02-14-2012, 07:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

what size watt is good to buy?
Old 02-14-2012, 07:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

That C&C cage looks good, but you could probably make one cheaper yourself! Plus, the creativity of it is way fun. Hedgehogs aren't rodents, so they aren't really chewers. You shouldn't have to worry about any chewing issues with the coroplast. As for the CHE wattage, it really depends on how big you cage is. A lot of people opt for having 2 150W CHEs set up on either end, especially bigger cages. I'm not a C&C expert myself, so hopefully someone will pitch in about that!

coribelle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2012, 08:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

really there that cheap to build lol. um we will have to make one then . lol. thats good to know there not chewers ty
Old 02-14-2012, 09:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

I just got what looks to be the same C&C setup as what you are looking at:
http://www.guineapigzone.com/c-and-c-ca ... c-cage-kit

Yes, I could have gotten everything that I needed separate and 'saved' money. But I'm glad that I didn't. The pre-cut and scored Cloroplast alone was well worth a premium price for the whole shebang. I can't emphasize enough how much it helped to not have to worry about that. I got a Carolina Storm Wheel and didn't care for the litter pan, so made one out of some extra Cloroplast. OMG! Simple things ain't that simple if you don't know the tricks!

If you haven't worked with cutting and scoring Coroplast to form a box, don't under estimate how much material you might wind up wrecking. Nothing to it if you know how, if you've done it a few times. Incredibly frustrating if you don't.

Dealing with making a top was a real problem, made worse by the issue of my wheel being taller than the walls. I spent hours sorting out a solution that I liked. I wound up with a simple solution, but you would not believe how hard it was getting there.

I would not buy this cage again. I learned tons, though. I do not regret paying extra (and wasting a even more from extra stuff that I didn't need and will never use). I would so totally build from scratch next time, but it would have been a big mistake this first time.

The quality of their grids, connectors, and zip ties does not impress me At All. Poor, poor, poor. But I've wound up with a nice cage and know a whole lot more than when I started. (Are all storage cubes of such marginal quality? I've never seen or used them. Maybe other brands are a big step up. I remain spectacularly unimpressed with I got.)

Three of the walls are only 6" high, and the minimum recommendation that I've been seeing is 8", so you'll have to consider that. I've gone with the easiest solution available, 9" x 12" shipping envelopes; quick and easy, plus choice of heights.

Regarding the actual question from the OP - heat lamps - I got two "Zoo Med ReptiCare Ceramic Infrared Heat Emitter 150 Watts" from Amazon, set in two "Fluker's 10" Repta Clamp Lamp with Switch", with a "R'Zilla 11939 Temperature Controller, 1000-Watt". I loathe buying from Amazon, but the savings in this case were huge, so I caved. Haven't used them yet. I'm probably a month away from getting my baby.
GoodandPlenty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2012, 09:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

I thought that I attached a couple of pictures. I thought wrong.

http://dbwebdesign.com/hedgehog/dump-fi ... cage-a.jpg

http://dbwebdesign.com/hedgehog/dump-fi ... cage-b.jpg
GoodandPlenty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2012, 10:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

Exclamation Re: what type of heat bulb?

so pretty much they link of the c&c cage u added is good? i saw a few on ebay. lol. thanks so much with the info. i am just trying to get much as i can on the info. lol.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in