Proper setup for my first hedgie. - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2012, 06:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Proper setup for my first hedgie.

Hello all, im hoping to be able to pick my first hedgehog at the end of the month from the breeders. She is a 18 month old hedgie being retired from breeding. I will be getting a bin with the following measurements: 105qt 32 1/2 inches long, 19 1/4 inches wide and 13 1/4 inches high.
I would like to know show do i make a proper holding spot for a che? and a light source. And what do i do with a thermomether or whatever its called with the prongs. I dont know if they go in it or not cause wouldnt the hedgie chew on it? I have other questions i believe but i need to get this straighten out first. And yes I have alot of spelling errors as well xD
Chadwick23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2012, 08:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default Re: Proper setup for my first hedgie.

If you can, I would try and get a second bin with the same measurements as the one you have. You may find after you put in the igloo, wheel, and food/water dishes that there's not much room leftover and it's a bit cramped. A lot of people who use bins do two side-by-side and attach them with some PVC pipe. That way you can spread things out a bit more and give your hedgie more space. A popular set-up I've seen is a play area with wheel and toys in one bin, and igloo and food/water dishes in the other bin.

For a CHE, you can get a clamp lamp so that you can clamp it onto the side of the bin and point the CHE down into the bin. Same with the lights. I know most big pet stores (Petsmart, Pet Supplies Plus, and I'm sure Petco) carry Fluker's clamp lamps which are safe to use with CHEs.

However, if you're going to have a lid on your bin (which is a good idea, to keep the hedgie in and any other animals or kids, maybe, out), you'll want to make sure you cut out the middle of the lid and replace it with screen, for ventilation. I'm not actually sure if wire screening would be safe to rest a CHE on...So unless anyone can confirm that that'd be safe, you might have to see if you can rig up something to hang the CHE above the bin(s) or something like that.

Do you mean a thermometer or a thermostat? Those are easy to mix up sometimes. Thermometers (measures the temperature), you can just tape the probe to the side of the bin, on the inside. It might be best to put it through one of the ventilation holes that you should have in the side, so that the hedgie can't get to the wire easily. Thermostats (which are what controls the CHE and turns it on/off to regulate the temperature) have a probe as well, which you can do the same thing with. I haven't heard much about hedgies bugging thermometer/thermostat probes, but just keep an eye on her. You may have to move it out of reach or cover it with something if she's too interested in it.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2012, 09:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Now im not to good with the whole crafting thing combining 2 bins. But i think im getting a screen type this as the cover, the breeder is making that for me. So i guess that leaves me with trying to find out how to do the whole CHE/light setup which is what im in need of help lol, I'm trying to find out how to setup, and google isnt helping me cept it shows c&C cages >.<

Once i figure how to setup the stuff i need to order it all.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

And yes i ment thermostat, lol I just dont know if she will nom on it or not and idk what location to put it at.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in