few tips for brand new parenthood (2)-The Wheel! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2012, 09:15 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default few tips for brand new parenthood (2)-The Wheel!

Ciao to all of you!!
today I got a more specific question about phisical education
Unariccia arrived 3 weeks ago by now and by that time she was 2 months old...well, she's still very young and I read that it's normal if she sleeps a lot and actually she's still in the sleep-eat-poop mode
but when she got home and we gave her for the first time the opportunity to have fun with the wheel, she really enjoyed it...sometimes even too much coz every morning we were used finding poop gifts on it and then it was our turn to have fun cleaning it up (I enclose a picture of the first wheel made of wood we purchased for her!).[attachment=2:1q7dzz58]run Unariccia...run!.jpg[/attachment:1q7dzz58]
then we realized it wasn't perfect and by growing, soon she wouldn't even fit it anymore. then we got crazy in order to buy a proper one but here in the netherlands it's impossible to find the Carolina storm wheel and having it shipped from USA (we also contacted Larry about this) is quite expensive. therefore we decided to build our own wheel and daddy, I must admit, has been veeery good at it!! (see attchment!)[attachment=1:1q7dzz58]home-made wheel 2.JPG[/attachment:1q7dzz58] but so far she never used it and she lost interest in the first one too (supposedly coz by now it's too small for her!). how could we lure her into spinning and running in it instead of only running back and forth along the fence during her playpen time in the evening?
and is it really fine she's asleep 70% of the entire day? when she looks dozy, now we r working at letting her be quiet and fall asleep on our laps (this pic is an example[attachment=0:1q7dzz58]asleep on my lap.JPG[/attachment:1q7dzz58]) and even if it's the sweetest sensation ever to see her drifting asleep on my lap smelling my homely sweater, yet I'd like her to get a bit more on the move how it was at the beginning.
tnx in adavnce for any suggestion!!!
Lussy,Chris&Unariccia
Attached Images
File Type: jpg run Unariccia...run!.jpg (193.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg home-made wheel 2.JPG (240.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg asleep on my lap.JPG (200.7 KB, 19 views)

[/url]
Lussy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2012, 10:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Breeders

Default Re: few tips for brand new parenthood (2)-The Wheel!

Great job on the wheel! Unariccia is stunning, thanks for sharing!
Old 02-11-2012, 12:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

This may sound gross but it worked for me... If your hedgie likes mealies you can squish some and cover the running surface in their umm goo. Same goes for crickets. It'll get her interested and walking on the wheel. Like you said she may also just be in her growing stage and need extra rest.
chelsea.kang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 06:26 AM   #4 (permalink)

uuhhmmmmm....interesting!!! eheheheh
actually we were thinking about cooating the running surface of the wheel with some kind of coarser material....still easy to clean up but gripping for her paws since yesterday we noticed, by a bit forcing her to spin in it, that she tended to slide off...maybe the plastic the wheel is made of is too smooth... uff.
that's why we r toying wit the idea to purchase the carolina storm wheel anyway...as a backup, when she's out having fun in her playpen.
what's your view Larry?
anyway, tnx a lot chelsea.kang....we'll give your solution a try
ciao ciao

[/url]
Lussy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2012, 06:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master Breeders

It usually takes a few days to get accustomed to the running surface, tilting the wheel upward will help with any falling out. Make sure the room is completely dark, also some hogs will never run for an audience.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in