Is this everything I need before bringing home my hedgehog? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2012, 11:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Is this everything I need before bringing home my hedgehog?

Cage
Fleece Liners
CHE:
(Lamp: http://www.amazon.com/Designers-Edge-In ... 375&sr=1-1
Bulb: http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Repticare ... ef=lh_ni_t )
Temperature Controller: http://www.amazon.com/Zilla-Temperature ... 480&sr=1-1
Thermometer: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MD ... 26MKJ1HZUT ).
Litter Pan
California Storm Wheel
Food:
(There were five brands listed on my breeder's website that she mixes for her hedgehog. Is it okay that I only chose two? (Links: http://www.petfooddirect.com/Product/13 ... at-Formula
and
http://www.petfooddirect.com/Product/14 ... od-Formula)
Water and food bowls
Snuggle Sack
Bath Set:
( http://www.etsy.com/listing/87095443/he ... v1_other_1 )
Toys
Hand warmers for the ride home.

What are some questions I should ask the breeder when I go to pick up my hedgie? Also, would a hedgehog sleep in a snuggle sack? Or should I buy an igloo?

zombiesatenine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2012, 11:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default Re: Is this everything I need before bringing home my hedgehog?

That all looks pretty good for me, only one thing I saw - personally I'd choose a different food to go with the Chicken Soup. The Pro Plan food you linked has 40% protein, which is on the high side to be a main food, even in a mix. You may want to either get an igloo, or make a homemade hide, just in case he's not a fan of the snugglebag. It kind of depends on the hedgehog what their preference is - Lily never slept in hedgie bags, and I quickly gave up using them in her igloo and gave her fleece strips to dig into instead. Some other things you might consider having on hand - nail clippers (human ones work fine), Polysporin/Neosporin (plain kind, not pain relief or anything else), mealworms, and flaxseed oil capsules (for dry skin). I'm sure I'm missing some things, but my brain's lack of sleep is starting to be a problem. Oh, you may want to get a hard-sided cat carrier for the car ride as well. It's much safer than a box or having hedgie on your lap.

Questions to ask -
- Does she know about how much he's been eating?
- What has his activity levels been like? Is he used to a wheel and does he run a lot?
- What temperature does she keep her hedgehogs at (so you can try and keep him around the same)?

Again, all I can think of for now, I'm sure someone else will add and catch anything I've missed.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2012, 11:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilysmommy
That all looks pretty good for me, only one thing I saw - personally I'd choose a different food to go with the Chicken Soup. The Pro Plan food you linked has 40% protein, which is on the high side to be a main food, even in a mix. You may want to either get an igloo, or make a homemade hide, just in case he's not a fan of the snugglebag. It kind of depends on the hedgehog what their preference is - Lily never slept in hedgie bags, and I quickly gave up using them in her igloo and gave her fleece strips to dig into instead. Some other things you might consider having on hand - nail clippers (human ones work fine), Polysporin/Neosporin (plain kind, not pain relief or anything else), mealworms, and flaxseed oil capsules (for dry skin). I'm sure I'm missing some things, but my brain's lack of sleep is starting to be a problem. Oh, you may want to get a hard-sided cat carrier for the car ride as well. It's much safer than a box or having hedgie on your lap.

Questions to ask -
- What has his activity levels been like? Is he used to a wheel and does he run a lot?
- What temperature does she keep her hedgehogs at (so you can try and keep him around the same)?

Again, all I can think of for now, I'm sure someone else will add and catch anything I've missed.

What do I use the neosporin for?

Old 02-08-2012, 11:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiesatenine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilysmommy

Questions to ask -

What do I use the neosporin for?
I've been wondering that too...

alyssinreality is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2012, 11:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

Is this food better than the pro plan?
http://www.petfooddirect.com/search/inn ... ed-fat-cat

I read here ( https://hedgehogcentral.com/CatFoodChart6.html ) that is has 32% Protein, 9% Fat, 4.5% Fiber, and 10% moisture.

It wasn't in the mix that the breeder feeds her hedgehogs, but I couldn't find the rest of the ones she does on petfooddirect. :\

Old 02-09-2012, 06:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Neosporin is good to have on hand because you can use it for minor cuts, feet that have been run bloody on the wheel, ingrown quills, things like that. We just always mention it because though a lot of people might have it on hand for themselves, it's good to make sure. Then there's no need to be stressing out about not having it when you find an issue at midnight or something (because of course, that's always when it happens ).

Yup, that food is good! I know there's some people on here that use it too. Keep in mind though, you don't have to stick to JUST what your breeder feeds. She should send you home with a bag of food that she gives her hedgehogs so that you can slowly switch him over to whatever you want to feed him. I believe most include at least a couple weeks' worth. So if you want to look for other decent foods on the site, there's nothing wrong with that either.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2012, 08:26 AM   #7 (permalink)

It sounds like you're pretty much set. Some hogs don't like to sleep in the open. If the snuggle sack seems to exposed to her, she'll probably burrow under the fleece liner to get somewhere more secure to sleep. If she does that, you'll probably want to get some sort of a hideout so she'll feel safe. An igloo would be fine, but you could just as easily use a small shoebox or somesuch.
NoBeardPete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in