Hedgehog Central banner

New to Forum...shopping before babys arrival.

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  joeschmoe40 
#1 ·
Hi Folks. I was just approved by a respectable breeder for a hedgehog!! I couldn't be more than happy!!
I am getting his/her habitat and supplies purchased and would appreciate your input about what I have on the list so far...before the final purchase is made.

We have decided on the Ferret Nation 141 for the cage, the ceramic heater with lamp and thermostat, an additional light to keep light cycles the same in winter, fleece bedding but also may purchase the alpine bedding if the wee one decides he/she is a digger, igloo shelter, ceramic dishes and toys. The links provided in the thread titled "heating simplified" are the links I followed to said purchases of heating supplies.

The only thing I am undecided on is the heating pad. Which is the best?? How warm should it be?? How does one attach it to the bottom of habitat?? Where in the cage should it be placed??
Any input or advice is greatly appreciated!! Thanks for having a professional and informative place for us "newbs" to get acquainted with Hedgiehood!

#2 ·
You don't necessarily need a heating pad since you have the ceramic heat emitter (though you may want to consider getting two, one for each end of the cage). Heating pads are usually reserved for emergencies or special circumstances. For instance, when I clean Petunia's cage, I place her in a big tote with a heating pad under it. Also, you will want an accurate thermometer to put in the cage so you can check on the temperature.

Nice looking cage! My only suggestion is to make sure you have some kind of walls put on your ramp so your hedgie can't fall off of it. Some people on these forums use dryer tubes. You can see some examples here: http://hedgehogcentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1860

Congrats! :D

#3 ·
I was thinking of taking out the ramp all together to avoid falling. I also want to put up a fleece barrier surrounding the whole cage approx 8 inches high. I live in one of the coldest places in the nation...and was thinking this might contain the heat better. Oh..and I forgot to mention earlier that we went with the Carolina storm wheel.

#5 ·
KatelynAlysa said:
Another option instead of shavings if your hedgie is a digger (like mine) is to cut up strips of fleece for him or her to burrow and dig in. These are much easier to clean and way more tidy, IMO. Congratulations on your soon-to-be new parenthood! :)
I was going to make the same suggestion. There are so many reasons to choose fleece over shavings, and hedgehogs can have their digger instincts satisfied in alternative ways. You can either leave a pile of fleece strips on the floor of the cage, or put them in some sort of box. Mine has a dig box which he loves so much, it's actually his primary sleeping place too.

#7 ·
ashh51191 said:
i have a snuggle safe heating pad for just in case it is awesome! you microwave it according to the guide & your microwave and it stays warm for 10-12 hours it may be good for the trip home or to vet appointments:) good luck with your baby!

http://www.amazon.com/Pet-Supply-Import ... 338&sr=8-1
I have the same exact thing already and knowing its safe to use with a hedgie is awesome. Thank you all so much for your help. I have taken note of trying scraps of fleece for digging and will try that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.