Reputable source? / Cage question. - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2012, 07:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Reputable source? / Cage question.

I am probably going to get my first hedgehog. I would prefer to find a source that I can drive to (from Waynesville, NC). This website provided a few sources. Shannon Orth (Zippity Zoo's Hedgies) is about 2 1/2 hours away. I sent a detailed email and was promptly 'approved', but I'm having trouble 'approving' her. Is the list of sources 'vetted', i.e., is everyone on it known to the community? Her prices aren't cheap, and I will be on a waiting list if I send the deposit ($50). The website seems a little 'iffy', but in the course of much research that seems to be pretty common and not something to make a judgment by.

Carolina Storm Hedgehogs might be another option.? It is about 3 1/2 hours away and it looks like the wait would be longer. On the other hand, though ready to go, waiting until I find the best situation is well worthwhile.

My research has brought to a lot of terrible stories about breeders, but I've not been able to find much that says "This list of breeders is A-OK; you can count on them.
.................................................. .........

I'm leaning toward a C&C cage from guineapigzone.com - Is a setup with a top necessary? A good idea? Or okay not to worry about? If a top is not needed and I got one with a 'loft' instead, is the ramp okay for hedgehogs? It surely looks steep in the pictures. Is this an okay or recommended source? Their cage setups look pretty well thought out.
GoodandPlenty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2012, 07:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Reputable source? / Cage question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodandPlenty
I'm leaning toward a C&C cage from guineapigzone.com - Is a setup with a top necessary? A good idea? Or okay not to worry about? If a top is not needed and I got one with a 'loft' instead, is the ramp okay for hedgehogs? It surely looks steep in the pictures. Is this an okay or recommended source? Their cage setups look pretty well thought out.
I have a C&C cage. You'll need a top. When Otto was younger he managed to escape by climbing up to the top and squeezing through the ceiling squares, which had a fairly wide wire spacing. We had to rearrange the cage a bit so that the walls and ceiling were all built out of the small-gridded squares. With no ceiling there's a substantial risk that your hog may escape.
NoBeardPete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2012, 07:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I haven't heard anything about the first breeder you posted (but then, I know very few breeders outside of those on here, and don't do much research into any), but LarryT (the breeder from Carolina Storm Hedgehogs) is a very active member on here and a fantastic guy! I can't say I've gotten a hedgehog from him, but I've received two of his wheels he makes and had a great experience with ordering and receiving those. I've heard little but good things said about him, and he's always been very helpful and a great member on the forums here.

With the cage, as NoBeardPete said, it's really best to have a lid. Some people have gotten away with no lid, and it's fine for their hogs, but you never know. Even a hedgie that's usually content to stay in their cage may get the urge to explore one night, and you don't want to deal with the stress and worry that comes from an escaped hog. If you do any kind of cage with a second level, the ramps and second level need to come completely enclosed, as many hedgehogs seem to have no depth perception and will walk off edges. Even a fall of a couple inches may seriously injure them if they land wrong on a leg or something.

However...I'd highly suggest making your own C&C cage. You can usually find the cubes at Target or Walmart (I think) for around $15-20 for a box. You'd get two boxes to make a 2x3 cage. Coroplast you can typically find at a Home Depot, I believe, or if you can find a local sign store, you may be able to get a bigger piece for cheaper. I've seen a typical price of a 4 ft x 8 ft piece for around $20-25. And zipties (good for stabilizing the cubes, I don't really trust the connectors alone) you can get at any hardware store for a few bucks. It's not hard at all to make one, and I'm sure it's cheaper than ordering one.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 08:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

The breeder of Carolina Storm Hedgehogs, Larry, is actually an active member on this forum and definitely promotes proper care/treatment of hedgehogs. He is in many Hedgehog welfare-related societies. A good way to start off is by seeing if they are registered under the International Hedgehog Association or Hedgehog Breeder Alliance, etc. Usually people who are a part of these groups truly care for their hogs and are active in helping better hedgehog lines and hedgehog lives in general.

I'd say go with your instincts. Read what guarantees they have, look at what type of questions they ask, etc. Sometimes peer reviews aren't the best to rely on.

I would say get a top, especially if you are planning a second level.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in