long eared help? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2009, 12:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy long eared help?

I am the proud mommie of a native Hemiechinus Auritus or Long Eared Egyptian Hedgehog. I rescued him - he was orphaned at about 4-5 weeks. I've had him for about 4.5 months. And am completely smitten. I adore the little bugger.

My question is this...does anyone know of any breeders Stateside? I have seen 1 in Germany...but that is it. My dad has fallen in love with my guy through pictures & stories of hijinx & I have a distinct feeling that upon my return to the US, I will be having a custody battle with my father over the grand-hog. He's done all his research & listened to all my tails of potty training & quilling & biting hazards et al. Nothing has scared him away. I know should he get an African pygmy, he'd be thrilled. But I also know he reeeeeeeeeeeeally wants a Long Eared. & I just doubt I can get 2 of them back.

Any ideas or information anyone?

Thanks in advance!!!
rivoli256 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2009, 02:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: long eared help?

I am not aware of anyone in the US that has Long-Eared hedgehogs.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

Wait... Is this little hedgehog in Germany or in the US? Taking them from the US to another country might be possible, but they can't be imported to the US.
Sorry, I don't know any breders of long-eared hedgehogs. They're really unusual in the States.
ChristinaP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 04:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

I'm neither in Germany nor the US currently. I'm in one of the native areas of these little hedgies. If anyone does know of ANYBODY who has one in the States or knows of someone who knows anything about them or any breeders, please pass along the info. I'd be extremely grateful. I'd hate to have to give my dad in his mid-60s the smackdown!
"No one takes my hedgie!"

I have looked at all the importation information (USDA, APHIS, BCP, etc) as well as international vets & no one has said I'd be unable to bring him back. I'd did extensive research on that before I'd had him long enough to really start bonding & socialization (just enough to get him safe, get some food in him, warm him up, let him rest for 2 or 3 days). It's not fair to him to rescue him, be "momma" for over a year (long time in hedgehog lifespan), & then have to randomly leave him with someone else nor can be released back into the wild. That's cruel in my book. Not to mention the fact that I absolutely love him & want him to live many years by my side (most likely trying to chew on me in some manner or scuttle down my shirt! LOL). I cannot be with out him.

All that being said, I should have several months to iron things out. If anyone has ideas or experience with any sort of importation, I'd be very grateful if you'd let me know. Just send me a PM so as not to clog up the board. I am dedicated to this little guy. He's part of my family. My parents consider him the grandhog. I think my dad loves him more than me - his only child, his only daughter! He wants daily pix of hoggie & my boyfriend but not so worried about me! *SNORT* Once I get settled stateside, I'll even be living with my closest friend who is a small & exotic animal vet & she already is getting extra training on hedgies - just for me & my guy.

& if anyone wants to hear the hysterical hijinx of raising henry, the eccentric wild baby orphan hog from a war zone, undercover...let me know. It's quite certain to make you feel MUCH better about the days when your sweet hoggie just won't cooperate! For example...how do you explain nail clipping to a hoglet who never dealt w/ humans before - much less a pedicure? (Answer: you don't...you wait till you have the good fortune to wrangle & grab a tiny foot & then he watches in fascination b/c he's so curious as to what the **** Mommie & Daddy are doing...repeat process...then hold slightly huffy yet intrigued hoggie to remind him said humans are not evil toe holding beasts....kiss the hog nose...pet ears...then watch as the bugger looks sweetly at you & then chomps your hand...returning to gaze sweetly once again...ah...I love him. Upside to the bite - it was the softest, cutest one ever, which was quite unexpected...as if to say: "Mommie-I was soooo good & that was kinda weird but cool...like me try out the new toes!!! COME ON!" He eventually got to patter around the room but first had to have more Mommie & Me time so as not to forget bitie does not equal freedom. And THAT is how you clip a wild hoglet's nails.)

-can anyone tell I am dreading my next project at work??? HEE.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:44 AM   #5 (permalink)

Hedgehogs of all species may not be imported to the US because of their ability to carry foot and mouth disease. If you could prove captive bred for many generations, you might be able to get an import permit but there is a slim to none chance you'll get one with a wild-caught animal. And it's not something that can be tested for.
HedgeMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2009, 02:01 AM   #6 (permalink)

Can you post a picture of him? I have never seen or heard of a long eared hedgehog.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

i can't get the pix of my little hedgezilla (currently making a kingdom of my sleepwear while I toil) to post. sorry. if you'd like to PM me, i can email you some or send you to my myspace page. you can google the breed as well. though, of course, none you'll find are as cute as my guy! LOL
Old 03-19-2009, 02:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

I know of a few, but it won't help you as i'm, from the UK.
Zoo_Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in