Hedgehog sitters - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2012, 04:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hedgehog sitters

In the spring, I will be going overseas for a few weeks and I was just wondering what most people do with their hedgehogs when they go away. I am thinking about having my parents watch him. I know they would do it but I'm concerned about whether they're prepared to put in the time that it takes to care for a hedgehog and I'm worried that they wouldn't handle him much and since I will be gone for so long I don't want him to become timid.

What do you all do when you have to leave your hedgies?
AL111 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2012, 06:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Hedgehog sitters

Most breeders will baby sit i know i do all my babies
Old 02-04-2012, 04:07 AM   #3 (permalink)

What AL111 said. Our breeder babysits free of charge. We haven't had to do it yet, but I'm sure it'll come up eventually, given that we like to travel now and then - although the next trip we have planned we'll be taking Archimedes along with us on the plane. That option really isn't for everyone, though.

If you didn't get your hedgehog from a breeder, I would suggest finding a friend or family member that you trust absolutely. Personally, I don't like the idea of pet boarding, especially for a hedgehog, since it's likely to not get socialized while it's there, among other reasons. I also don't like the idea of leaving a hedgehog at home and having someone just 'check in' on them every day. If you find a friend/relative to do it, you should walk them through all the details and find a few times for the person to come over and interact with your hedgehog prior to you leaving it in their care. When someone is serious about it and cares enough, even if they know nothing about hedgehogs, they can figure it out fairly quickly once you take the time to explain things to them in detail. Emphasize how important certain things are - checking the temperature, having the hedgehog handled daily, necessary things cleaned daily, and so on.

To make it as easy as possible for your parents (or whoever you choose), you write out a list of what needs to be done daily, what needs to be done once or twice a week, and so on; also a list of things to watch out for, and your vet's information, just in case something happens while you're gone; and also just general information to remind them, since it can be a lot to take in and might not all stick. If you don't have one, set the light source up with a timer; that makes one less thing for them to have to keep track of. And definitely give them plenty of chance to handle the hedgie prior to your trip, so they're as comfortable as possible with doing so, and also so they understand the different ways. Having the hedgehog out for an hour or so doesn't always have to mean ongoing interaction for that length of time; for instance, having the hedgehog in a bag in the lap (while watching TV or whatever) is adequate.

USDA licensed breeder in Port Orchard, WA.
Volcano View Hedgehogs
moxieberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 08:40 AM   #4 (permalink)

Luckly for us, my fiance's parents love our hedgies. They've watched them a few times and the hedgies always have a great time there. They get to run around for play time and socialized everyday.
When we first got Quinn we were still living with his parents and they got to know her and how to care for her. It helps that they loved her as mush as we do! Maybe you should introduce your hedgie to a family member a few times and see if they would be able to babysit.
Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2012, 05:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL111
In the spring, I will be going overseas for a few weeks and I was just wondering what most people do with their hedgehogs when they go away. I am thinking about having my parents watch him. I know they would do it but I'm concerned about whether they're prepared to put in the time that it takes to care for a hedgehog and I'm worried that they wouldn't handle him much and since I will be gone for so long I don't want him to become timid.

What do you all do when you have to leave your hedgies?
Hedgehogs are low maintenance pets. It's nice to socialize with them regularly, but as long as they're being given food and water, and their cage is being kept clean, they can get by without daily socialization. How long will you be gone for, and how old is your hedgehog?
NoBeardPete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2012, 08:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'm not sure that I can really agree with NoBeardPete there. Compared to other small pets, i think hedgehogs are one of the highest maintenance out there hahaha! (: I think hedgies deserve and need to be handled everyday, even if it is limited to a simple hedgie bag on the lap during your favorite tv show. I know I was a little apprehensive the first time I ever held and interacted with a hedgehog, so I think it's important to have whoever is watching your little one have time to get comfortable with them and with holding them while you are there (:
The list idea that moxie was talking about also is a great idea.

coribelle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2012, 08:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Breeders

I think most people have a friend or breeder that will petsit. I have a petsitting company and have looked after a couple but usually people have friends or family. When we went to BC to visit before Xmas, my sister looked after mine....she was a bit leery I think but did very well with them.

A rescue contact for Manitoba with The Hedgehog Welfare Society

Heavenly Hedgehogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2012, 10:11 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the suggestions! I will definitely check with my breeder. I'm leaving for two and a half weeks so it will be quite a while to be away from him and I'm definitely more comfortable leaving him with a breeder than my family so hopefully she will do it for me.
I feel like he is kind of a high maintenance pet, since it seems like I am always cleaning up after him.
AL111 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in