few tips for brand new parenthood! - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2012, 10:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy few tips for brand new parenthood!

a big Hi to everyone....I'm a brand new member on this fantastic website.
I must confess that the main reason why I decided to sign up is because I/we need a few tips about our little and lovely 2 months-and-2-weeks old hedgie.
she's a female renamed after Unariccia (Italian
when we adopted her, we right away noticed she had mites (white little dots roaming on her back and head), fortunately we found a clinic for animals where they sugegsted us for some anti parasite drops to apply on her back once a month. now her skin looks mtes-free but she still has some dundruff and keeps scraping.
do you think making her a bath once a week is advisable? usually we put her in the sink with lukewarm shallow water and we mildly scratch her by means of a toothbrush. last time we also added a few drops of baby oil into the water to try to sooth her her dundruff.
could you please advise me if we r doing well?
and another big issue for us is handling! my boyfriend is rather scared to hurt her since she seems not to really appreciate when we take her in our hands, instead I'm more for the shock treatment, so at least once a day, expecially in the evning when she's playing in the playpen, I happen to take her in my hands and even if she fights her **** out to run away my soft grip, I notice that after a while, softly whispering and swaying her, she gets relaxed and remains still not pooping anymore (miracle!!!).
then when I put her back to her cage and after a while we try to interact with her again, then she strats huffing at us as always!
which is then the best tactic to use? is it fine to handle her every day although it looks like not being really enjoyed it yet?
tnx a lot!!! and soon I'll also post some snapshots of our cutie!!
ciao ciao.

[/url]
Lussy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2012, 12:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Re: few tips for brand new parenthood!

Welcome to hedgehog central.

Baths can dry their skin. I would reduce the number of baths you give her. I only bathe mine when they need it. There are months where my hedgehogs don’t get a bath at all.

Instead of baby oil, try using flaxseed or vitamin E oil. Use it only when needed.

I recommend handling hedgehogs daily for at least 30 minutes. Even if they do not like it, I handle them. They need the interaction to become social and given time they will learn to trust you and enjoy the interaction better. So, your method is the one I would recommend. If you have a fleece blanket, or a bag for her to sleep inside, use it during her out of cage time. Let her sleep in it while she is on your lap.

It is fine to handle her every day even if she is being defensive. Try to not stress her too much by forcing her to do things, but allow her to explore around on you.

You must post some images!

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2012, 01:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

tnx a lot Kalandra
I thought that the bathing rate was a bit too often but if we r doing it it's only coz we r trying a way out for her dundruff.
if a bath in lukewarm water + few drops of oil is not really advisable, what would u recommend to me instead? I read on other posts that we might even pour some oil directly on her, but how could we well spread it?
tnx again....now that I'm home I'll post some pics of our beloved Unariccia!!

[/url]

Old 02-03-2012, 01:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

Welcome to HHC

You can put some flax seed oil on her food each night. Ingesting the oil can be just as beneficial for her skin as putting it directly on her back. Buying a humidifier and running it in the room she is in can help with the dry skin too.

I agree that you should post pictures!

This message was brought to you by Mildred the Hedgehog's slave, Hannah! ^.^
hanhan27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2012, 01:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

[attachment=0:122vag98]...tre Stella!.jpg[/attachment:122vag98][attachment=1:122vag98]run Unariccia...run!.jpg[/attachment:122vag98][attachment=2:122vag98]I might become a ballerina.jpg[/attachment:122vag98]ok...we'll try to find it somewhere (first I need a translation in dutch, though... )

see some pictures of her as attachments of this post
Attached Images
File Type: jpg I might become a ballerina.jpg (138.9 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg run Unariccia...run!.jpg (193.3 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg ...tre Stella!.jpg (124.6 KB, 21 views)

[/url]
Old 02-03-2012, 01:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

I just drop a couple of drops in different places on their back. It will spread out on its own. After a few days if you notice that some areas are still dry, add a drop to that area.

She is beautiful. I have not seen a wheel like that one before. Do you find it hard to clean?

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2012, 03:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

I can't really tell from the picture, but it looks like there might be some small gaps between some of the wood plank/log things. I've also never seen one like that before. Something to consider is that at 10 weeks she's probably not done growing, and if she gets much bigger I don't think that wheel will be a good size for her. (It's really cool looking though!)

USDA licensed breeder in Port Orchard, WA.
Volcano View Hedgehogs
moxieberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2012, 05:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

fantastic idea about the few drops on her back....we'll certainly go for that!
concerning the wheel, I confess we have been naive coz we like a lot everything is made of wood but indeed it's very hard to clean every time so we'll go for a second one made of plastic.
and bigger!!! we'll be using the wooden one only when she's fooling around in the playpen
ciao ciao

[/url]
Old 02-03-2012, 08:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

Larry T's Carolina Storm Wheels are awesome and the best wheels out there for hedgies from what I hear, he's on this site I haven't personally bought one yet but since I have multiple hedgies I have to save up to afford them. The comfort wheel is what I use and are the best commercially bought wheels out there (: very cute hedgie you have yourself there!
ashh51191 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2012, 09:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

The Carolina Storm Wheel and Carolina Storm Bucket Wheel are great, but shipping to Amsterdam would be $68 total or $73 USD, depending on the wheel.

If you were talking about the translation for Flaxseed Oil, I think it's Lijnzaadolie. I spent a year aboard in Amsterdam Miss it!
HedgieGirl519 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in