Holding my new hedgie :/ - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2012, 09:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Holding my new hedgie :/

Hey guys, so we bought a hedgehog about a week ago from an owner who just didn't have time for her anymore. She's about six months old and almost litterbox trained (I don't think the previous owner even attempted to train her). My concern now is that whenever I, or my two friends (we're in the same dorm), try to hold her she just wants to run the heck away! She'll ball up a little and once she realized that she's not in immediate danger she'll get up and run like heck. She absolutely wont sit still, and after a few minutes of trying to keep her from crawling up my forearms or falling out of my hands, she'll start pooping everywhere. I can't imagine that she's accustomed to us yet, so she must be running to escape. We've tried feeding her mealworms from the hand while she sits in our palms (rare) but she's up and trying to escape within seconds of swallowing. Is there anything we can do to calm her down? Or will her calmness only come with time. And is there anything we can do about her pooping in our hands? Thanks guys
YECKNOFA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2012, 09:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Holding my new hedgie :/

Does she have a wheel?
If not then she needs one, that would help calm her down.
Plus some hedgehogs are just not cuddlers. Some are explorers.

RIP Opal <3
Buy 2012 hedgehog calendar here: http://www.lulu.com/product/calendar/20 ... r/18714080
Join Hedgehog Happenings on Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/groups/hedgehoghappenings/
ShutUpAndSmile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2012, 09:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

There's a chance that your hedgehog could simply just have an explorer personality. It's very rare that I can get my hedgehog to sit still in my hands or my lap. He'll huff for a little bit after I take him out, then he climbs all over me and tries to make an escape. He is relaxed, but he is just more interested in running around sniffing everything. She may relax in time and gradually become more and more ok with sitting calmly with you and your friends, or she may not. If you find that she's more of an explorer, don't think that you can't still bond with her. I bring Felix to an enclosed space where he can't escape or get under something (usually my bathroom) and I sit on the floor. Sometimes I bring toys in, sometimes I just let him run around and sniff. He'll climb all over me and run around, and I still get to spend time with him without constantly dealing with him trying to crawl away.

Unfortunately there's not a whole lot that can be done about the pooping in your hands thing. Usually it's just because the hedgehog has just woken up and it's the first time they've gone all day. It might help to wake her up and let her walk around the cage for a bit before you take her out. Then she might get it all out in the cage instead of on you.

lehaley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 10:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Christemo

Some don't cuddle.
Also, the poop thing is just something you have to deal with. Before I hold her, I put her in for her normal foot bath, and she usually goes in the water there. By the time it's cuddle time, there's no poo left.
She needs a wheel. The only one that is safe to buy in a store is the Comfort Wheel, and even that's not great. Check out Larry's Carolina Storm Wheel. Those are perfect for hedgies.
What is your heating set up like?
What kind of cage is she in?

http://www.etsy.com/shop/tranquills
Check out Tranquills for all your hedgehog needs! Including... TUTUS!
https://christineschramm.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home
Christemo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2012, 10:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rescue

try dimming or turning off the lights. also put a blanket (that you dont mind getting pooped and peed on) on your lap and let him hide under it. like said above he might be an explorer, or he might be scared and is running away to go hide somewhere! making it dark and giving him a place to hide in (the blanket) might calm him down and have him sit still.

sorry, replace my hims and he with her and she
jerseymike1126 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2012, 10:08 AM   #6 (permalink)

Yes we do have a wheel for her, and when she does use it she LOVES it and usually poops a lot while she's running. And the cage is in a pretty warm area. Our dorms constantly run the heat, so it stays somewhere between 75-80 degrees. We have begun to try to alter her sleeping habit a little so that she doesn't wake up at 3am and create a racket (she's in our room and we have nowhere else to put her), so maybe that has something to do with her grumpiness when we try to wake her and play with her. Also, her previous owners said they were feeding her Iams cat food, but they passed the food off to us in an unmarked ziplock bag, so I have no idea exactly what type of food it is or how old it is.
YECKNOFA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2012, 10:58 AM   #7 (permalink)

You should get a thomometer in her cage for exact temps.
And hedgehogs are nocturnal you shouldn't try and alter her sleeping habit at all.
Does she have a 12 hour light schedule? (not outside light)

RIP Opal <3
Buy 2012 hedgehog calendar here: http://www.lulu.com/product/calendar/20 ... r/18714080
Join Hedgehog Happenings on Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/groups/hedgehoghappenings/
ShutUpAndSmile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2012, 12:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Rescue

Hedgies party all night, just how they roll
jerseymike1126 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2012, 12:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YECKNOFA
Also, her previous owners said they were feeding her Iams cat food, but they passed the food off to us in an unmarked ziplock bag, so I have no idea exactly what type of food it is or how old it is.
You might want to consider switching her to a better food anyway. I don't believe (and please correct me if I'm wrong, guys) that Iams is a recommended food. Here's a link to a great thread about which cat food brands to feed:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15&start=0

Brands that I see mentioned a lot are Blue Buffalo, Innova, Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul, and Natural Balance. Most people feed a mix of two or three foods.

lehaley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 01:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

I realize that hedgies are nocturnal, but in my opinion, you should absolutely alter their sleeping habits if you need to. They will learn to adjust to your schedule, and its not harmful to them at all.
ppetropulo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in