HI - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2016, 04:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy HI

hi im a new hedgie mummy of only 3 days and since reading things on this site im so confused. The breeder told me to feed princess go cat biscuits with meal worms every other day and cooked chicken 2 times a week. which i have done so far she seems happy and is settling in well has cuddles an hour a day and she is litter trained ect her poo is slightly runny which im keeping a eye on shes not dehydrated or anything and is eating well . the thing ive read on here are very different to what the breeder advised ie she told me no wheels until shes 6 months old due to her soft bones i had already ordered her a bucket 12" wheel with no gaps or wire ect and im awaiting delivery should i let her use it before then? and the food she gave me is not the same as the go cat i brought it looks very different she told me to get the chicken and duck which i did im now worried about giving her this food in case it upsets her stomach more sorry for the rant but a very confused hedgie mum here. ps shes 10 weeks old
rach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2016, 04:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

OK. First of all I'm not sure what cat biscuits are or why you would feed them to hedgie. Are they just cat treats because it seems to me that that is kind of like giving your kid nothing to eat but cake. Plain old cat food is what is usually used. I use Purina. Purina is not recommended by the hedgehog central community but I found a great one. You need a food with 30-35% protein. It's OK if it's a little over that but not too much. 10-15% fat. I wouldn't recommend going over 15 unless she doesn't keep weight on. Also it should have as much fiber as possible. There are lots of threads that you can find on the internet about the percentages and ingredients to avoid and look for if you search "food requirements hedgehog central"

I'm not experienced with mealworms. My hedgie hasn't had any yet. I'm sure someone else will be able to help you with that. You can also search "how many mealworms should a they get in a week hedgehog central" on the internet and you should be able to find something.

The runny poop is probably due to all the changes she has experienced lately.

I have never heard about them not being able to have wheels before six months. I'm sure someone else could help you or you could search "at what age can I give them a wheel hedgehog central" I am not experienced with young hedgies as I got mine when he was already over a year old.

If the food you bought is not the food the breeder has been giving her, that is a problem. It will probably upset her stomach more if you don't gradually switch her.
1st week -25% new, 75% old
2nd week -50% new, 50% old
3rd week -75% new, 25% old
Once you run out of old food (while continuing to do the 75% new, 25% old) switch her completely to the new food.
Good luck!

Last edited by paige.alison; 09-07-2016 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Unclear
paige.alison is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2016, 05:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Cat biscuits is the same as cat kibble, dry cat food. There is no reason to keep a wheel away until they're six months old. It would be like saying to not let a child run or walk until they are 6 years old. Running helps to strengthen both their bones and muscles

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 05:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

yes go cat is a complete cat food in the uk we call them cat biscuits and go cat is made by purina but the worrying thing is i now think that the breeder brought a cheaper version of cat food as the shape and look is completely different im gonna gradually change her from the breeders food to this better quality one she does seem to prefer the one i brought thank you for the advice on the wheel i thought it sounded strange i ordered it before even picking her up so should be with me soon this site is so informative there is so much conflicting advice out there im now gonna stick with this site from now on heres a picture of my little princess
Old 09-07-2016, 05:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

She is adorable. What a cute little girl. I apologize for my misunderstanding of cat biscuits. The only thing I've heard of similar to that is dog biscuits which are dog treats here in America.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk
paige.alison is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2016, 08:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

lol no worries xxx

Tags
confused, new owner tips

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in