Should I buy this stuff for my future hedgie? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By twobytwopets
  • 1 Post By Artemis-Ichiro

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2016, 12:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Should I buy this stuff for my future hedgie?

Hi all,

I've been lurking around this forum for awhile, but thought I'd go ahead and post now. I won't have a hedgehog until sometime in December, but it's never too early to start planning, right?? ?

I think I've decided I want a storage bin cage, partly because of cost, and also since those seen to be the easiest to heat. (I can't control the heat in my apartment and it got pretty chilly last year).

This is the Amazon wish list I've put together:

https://www.amazon.com/registry/wish..._gQ1PxbZMAB5VT

I know I'll need to modify the lid for venilation, so any tips on that would be great! And I'm planning to make my own fleece liners and cuddle sacks, etc.

Anything else I'll need that I'm forgetting?
Any of this stuff a really bad idea??

I'm still weighing the pros and cons of comfort wheels vs saucers vs bucket wheels.

Thanks in advance!
Lauren2016 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2016, 01:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Wheels, if your debating on comfort wheel vs bucket wheel. Almost all the pros go to bucket wheel without any of the cons. The only pro for the comfort wheel is you can buy it at a pet store.
The saucer is notorious for breaking and aren't quiet.

Your tote may be too small. They need 4 sq ft of floor space MINIMUM. The measurements listed are the very lip of the tote, if not the lid itself. So getting that tote, you may end up needing a second tote that is connected.

Heating, plan on needing 2 heating elements. Some times one doesn't heat enough and the heat needs to be fairly consistent. I didn't check if your thermostat takes one or two units, you want it to take 2. And check to be sure the lamps are rated for a che.

You also need a place for your hedgehog to hide.

But where do you start? Personally, I would purchase the heating set up first. Everything else is a quick and easy pick up. Also that's where most of the money goes. Sometimes the colder it gets, the harder it is to buy them. It's like the first really warm day of summer, good luck finding fans or air conditioners.
nikki likes this.
twobytwopets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2016, 01:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for looking it over for me! I can get two of those totes for cheaper than the sterlite kind that are just a bit bigger, so expansion as she grows will be easy!

This is probably a dumb question, but what do you use to cut the lids? I was thinking about just keeping the rim of the lid and then putting screen in the middle so there would be plenty of light.

When you say 2 heating elements do you mean 2 lamps or a lamp and something else?

I should probably just pony up the money for a nice wheel or figure out how to make my own. I'm guessing it would save money in the long run vs replacing broken ones.

Thanks!

Old 08-07-2016, 02:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Expansion as she grows, no she needs 4 sq ft at a minimum. The tote you have picked, based on the measurements listed is 4.2 sq feet. This isn't the floor space. So you would either want to attach a second tote from the beginning or go with a larger tote.

To cut lids a box cutter will work, but it may take a few times scoring it through. I personally drill a hole and take a jigsaw to it. But Im a fan of power tools.

By two heating elements, I mean 2 Che's hooked to the same thermostat.

By going with a bucket wheel, you save money in the long run and time when it comes to cleaning. Wheels need cleaned daily, ridges make it a pain and mean more scrubbing.
Old 08-07-2016, 02:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for your help! I want to try to have the set up as close to perfect as I can get it before I bring my hedgie home.

What's the best connector for two totes? I've seen the crinkly kind and pvc pipe.
Old 08-07-2016, 02:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

PVC. Easier to clean and you don't have to worry about rips.
Old 08-07-2016, 02:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks so much!! I think that's all the questions I have at the moment
Old 08-07-2016, 05:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

You didn't mention it but I'm going to add something.

You need to have a vet emergency fund, the recommendation is a min. of $200. If you live in America, look into getting vet insurance, is $9 a month and get a care credit credit card or a vet fund, when they get sick it can get expensive fast.
twobytwopets likes this.
Artemis-Ichiro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2016, 06:04 PM   #9 (permalink)

I have a pretty healthy savings account, but thanks for the reminder!

I love my cat's vet, but I will need to check if he does hedgehogs. I know there are several exoctic vets in the area if not.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

That's great. I always remind new or future owners about it because it seems to be an after thought for too many people. Most think that with $500 they are set for life.
Artemis-Ichiro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in