Please help he does not want any worms at all!!! - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2012, 11:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Please help he does not want any worms at all!!!

I tried mealworms (i let them in is cage, and tried to give it to him, let them next to him = he ignores them), silkworms (that's what his ex-owner used to give him apparently, I gave it to him and he ignores them) and superworms (ignores them also) ... I don't know what to do, he is so darn picky and I worry about him not receiving his insect requirements. What should I do ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2012, 01:02 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Please help he does not want any worms at all!!!

There are no insect requirements.

There has been a flood of new members lately freaking out about their hedgies not liking insects, and I keep posting to say - It isn't a big deal. Insects aren't a necessary part of their diet. If you are feeding a good quality cat food, your hog will be just fine without the worms. They are good for treats or for a holistic diet, but other than that, it's seriously no big deal. Seriously. Some hogs just don't like bugs or they never figure out that they are food... and that's fine. You can continue to offer them to try to get him to eat them, but if he doesn't? No big deal.

Just so you know, you don't need to post multiple threads about the same thing a few hours apart... it just causes confusion.

This message was brought to you by Mildred the Hedgehog's slave, Hannah! ^.^
hanhan27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2012, 01:42 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanhan27
There are no insect requirements.

There has been a flood of new members lately freaking out about their hedgies not liking insects, and I keep posting to say - It isn't a big deal. Insects aren't a necessary part of their diet. If you are feeding a good quality cat food, your hog will be just fine without the worms. They are good for treats or for a holistic diet, but other than that, it's seriously no big deal. Seriously. Some hogs just don't like bugs or they never figure out that they are food... and that's fine. You can continue to offer them to try to get him to eat them, but if he doesn't? No big deal.

Just so you know, you don't need to post multiple threads about the same thing a few hours apart... it just causes confusion.

I'm sorry for being annoying, I was panicking because I read that they could try to hibernate if they did not receive insects.. Thank you for answering it's really nice of you :]

Old 01-21-2012, 01:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

You weren't being annoying by any means. We are all here because we love hedgehogs & I understand what it's like to panic lol.

Hedgehogs won't attempt hibernation if they aren't fed insects. Hibernation attempts happen when a hedgie's sense of day and night and the seasons is out of whack. It has nothing to do with their diet.

This message was brought to you by Mildred the Hedgehog's slave, Hannah! ^.^
hanhan27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2012, 04:09 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanhan27
You weren't being annoying by any means. We are all here because we love hedgehogs & I understand what it's like to panic lol.

Hedgehogs won't attempt hibernation if they aren't fed insects. Hibernation attempts happen when a hedgie's sense of day and night and the seasons is out of whack. It has nothing to do with their diet.

Thank you for your help it is very sweet of you!!! I really appreciate it :]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in