Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Lilysmommy
  • 1 Post By twobytwopets
  • 1 Post By twobytwopets
  • 1 Post By twobytwopets
  • 1 Post By nikki

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2016, 07:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Vet or Tractor supplies

So i plan to take my hedgi to the vet for a checkup to see if everything is ok, the closest is in Albany and im in Amsterdam my guardian told me that on Sundays in tractor supplies a vet comes to give vaccines and that i should go there because its cheaper im not sure if its a good idea is it or do i go for the vet (ive never seen any animals other than dogs and rarely cats but that could be because not many people own hedgis)
mono832 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2016, 08:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I would guess the vet at TSC isn't going to know anything about exotics, but you never know. You could stop by without your hedgehog on a Sunday & talk to them to see how much they know and if they would even be a good option. It's best to have a vet with some experience & knowledge of hedgehogs, or at least small mammals, rather than one that only knows about dogs, cats, & larger animals. If you absolutely have no other option, then one with no experience that's willing to do research and connect to experienced vets for advice is the next best thing.

Edit: Given that your hedgehog is already sick, go for a vet in an actual clinic. A vet at TSC is going to be very limited on what they can do even if they do know anything about hedgehogs. And it would be extremely stressful for your hedgehog to be in that kind of environment, on top of already being sick. Please take her to a vet clinic instead.
nikki likes this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2016, 09:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

but it cost so much cant i first see if TS has any help i would give alot for my hedgi but i dont have much money to give and i cant exactly get a job since im not a citizen

Old 06-28-2016, 09:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

The clinic time at tractor supply or other farm stores and pet stores are usually just for routine things. Shots, wormer, possible blood draw for tests and that's about it. If you had a dog that was sick, it still wouldn't be recommended to take it there for treatment. The reason they are cheaper is it's quick, And very limited.
nikki likes this.
twobytwopets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2016, 09:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Have you contacted the vet to get an estimate in how much the bill would be?
nikki likes this.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

By waiting to see the vet at TS and then finding out they can't help you you're just delaying treatment which isn't fair for your hedgehog. Like I said before it's not fair that your hedgehog has to suffer longer because of money issues. If you can't afford to care for your hedgie then you need to find someone that can. What are you going to do if your hedgehog gets an URI? that is something that wouldn't be able to wait, you'd have to take them in right away to be treated.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2016, 10:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

stop making me feel horrible im trying here
Old 06-28-2016, 10:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

I don't think anyone here is trying to make you feel horrible. However we are concerned about your hedgehog. You had been advised to take it to a vet to be checked out.
I think all of us can understand money can be tight sometimes and during those times very hard decisions might have to be made.
If you and your guardian cannot get your hedgehog in to see a vet, it's time for one of those hard decisions. Part of properly taking care of an animal is giving it proper medical attention when necessary. If you cannot do that, then fortunately there are organizations like the hedgehog welfare society who are willing to take in hedgehogs whose owners are in similar situations.
nikki likes this.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

I'm not trying to make you feel bad but I am trying to make you realize how important it is to be able to properly care for a pet. Imagine how your hedgehog feels.
twobytwopets likes this.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
hedgi, vet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in