New cage & stress - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By bobble
  • 1 Post By PricklyPetesMom
  • 1 Post By bobble

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2016, 08:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New cage & stress

I'm going to be building my hedgehog a c&c cage soon, and I was wondering if there's anything I can do to keep the switch from his smaller cage to the c&c cage less stressful for him? I know the new cage will be a lot better than his current one, it's the one I brought him home in from the breeder, largest plastic tub. He's just gotten bigger and needs more room. His current cage is in the living room right now, but his c&c cage will be under my window in my room. There's a heater and an outlet under my window, perfect for the winter so he can stay warm.

Any tips to make this less stressful? I know hedgehogs are nocturnal, but is there also a way to keep him more active during the day? He's going to be 6 months old pretty soon so would that be too late to potty train him? He's had a litter box in his cage ever since I got him but he doesn't use it an overly lot, he just pushes it out of the way and goes behind it. He has a water bottle right now, but would switching to a bowl be safer? I know hedgehogs can hurt their eyes on the nozzle.
PricklyPetesMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2016, 09:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'm no expert, but I would suggest when you move him, try putting the same things in his new cage that he has currently. Even try putting them in the same layout as they are now (or as close as possible, at least to begin with) also try use some of the same bedding if possible (if you have clean bits), as to keep his scent in the new cage. There are people who probably have better suggestions, but that's what I would do.

hedgehogs shouldn't really be active during the day, as they are nocturnal, its not healthy for them. Why do you want him to be more active during the day anyway?

in regards to potty training, does he have a particular spot he goes in? Or does he just go anywhere? Some hedgehogs cant be potty trained, it depends on the hedgehog I believe.

water bowls are better yes. Its more natural and bottles can lead to injuries such as the one you mentioned, or tongue getting stuck. If you are going to change, I'd have both for a couple of weeks, just to make sure he is still drinking while he gets uses to the bowl or keep a close eye on him to make sure he understands what the bowl is for

hope that helps you
nikki and Prue like this.

Last edited by bobble; 06-24-2016 at 09:11 PM.
bobble is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2016, 10:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you! I'll definitely do that.

I was just wondering about it, no particular reason other than I've seen a hedgehog on a youtube channel be active in the day, running on the wheel and everything. Got curious haha

He doesn't go all over his cage, mainly just in the area of where his litterbox is but not exactly inside of it.
bobble likes this.

Old 06-24-2016, 10:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Blind hedgehogs will sometimes be more active during the day but trying to make a hedgehog be more active isn't healthy for them.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2016, 10:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

well in most cases, its just better for your hedgehogs health to be asleep during the day.

what kind of litterbox do you use? If he goes near it, maybe just try using a slightly bigger one, that way he's more likely not to miss it.
Old 06-25-2016, 12:31 AM   #6 (permalink)

He's using a corner litterbox, it's pretty good size. He keeps tipping it over though
Old 06-25-2016, 03:09 AM   #7 (permalink)

maybe try using something shallower, so he can't tip it over. My hedgie always went in roughly the same spot, so i use a large baking tray in that area, which is also big enough for his wheel to go on it as well. He will occasionally go just in front of the tray but not often.
PricklyPetesMom likes this.
Old 06-25-2016, 03:26 AM   #8 (permalink)

I'll try that, thank you!

Tags
6 months, c&c, c&c cage, potty train, stress

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in