Hedgehog Central banner

Opinions, suggestions for Spikes play area?

5K views 94 replies 7 participants last post by  bobble 
#1 ·
Hey all, this is Spikes current playpen setup, I can make the area inside a bit bigger however I am curious what you guys think and if you have any suggestions I would be happy to hear them!

Also the cage is a bit small however he spends most of his time in the playpen. I am considering a bigger cage and my cousin might even build me one.

Attachments

See less See more
#29 ·
Very true. But hey im doing the best I can, the guy who we bought Spike from gave us a small cage included with the price. I watch him well and when I cant my parents do. I am even a bit of an overprotective father since I take care of him. I understand warning people based on past experience however since I joined the forum I became more nervous than I already was :shock:

#30 ·
have you considered a c&c cage? You can build them pretty easily and pretty cheap. You can also make ones with lids
I have a c&c cage and I put it together myself and it was really simple. Admittedly, my c&c cage houses guinea pigs. I decided against it for my hedgie because I was worried about keeping it heated as I live in the UK, so its not that warm even in summer

#32 ·
They say ignorance is bliss. If you don't know something is potentially dangerous, how can you worry about it? You've been learning things (which is good!), but now you are no longer ignorant (also good!), which makes you nervous (less good).

You've received some great advice...and some not great advice. It's up to you to determine your course of action. Play pens are fantastic ways for your hog to run around and exercise but safety dictates that they be a supervised activity. We know this because we get tons of "Help, my hedgehog is lost!" posts with more frequency than we should. We also know that when not being supervised an appropriate cage that meets necessary requirements in size and safety that can be properly heated (the added benefit to properly heating the cage is you don't have to be quite so hot yourself) is the best way to ensure safety, health and happiness for your hog. But Spike is your companion and your responsibility. We can't force you to do things a certain way. All we can do is advise you based on our collective experience. The rest is entirely up to you. But remember, you reap what you sow.

#33 ·
I bought mine as a complete kit, with lid and correx base and everything. But I'm pretty sure you can buy the parts individually as well. I bought mine as a kit simply because was struggling to get the correx base, but that might just be because of my location.

#34 ·
Being nervous can be a good thing. As long as it pushes you to do better.
I used to think those little play pens were cute and would work for containment.
Had my first hedgehog in one with the front door open as I was visiting someone on my porch. Went inside to use the restroom and left the front door open. My neighbor fortunately was quick enough to grab him right at my front door, he went under. Found that out by watching him crawl under a second time. Naturally based on that, in my book, they don't work for containing a determined hedgehog.
The best way to win at hide and go hedgie is to avoid it all together. Yes accidents happen. But that's where nervousness helps, you double check that the cage is secure, you ensure that latches work properly, and if your like me you have a 3 ft board blocking the doorway out the room.

#37 ·
Heck no. Each step was added after a game of hide and go hedgie. The board at least lets me be assured that the game is somewhat based on my rules of stay in the room. The room the critters are in doubles as a pantry and has a fridge in it. It is sitting on 4 inch blocks because your hand won't fit under when it sits normally.

#40 ·
yeh, they are good. You can get them in different sizes (I have a 2x6, with a 1x2 loft which houses 2 guinea pigs)
it would be pretty similar to the playpen, but would have a base, meaning your hedgehog wouldn't be able to under it, and if you get a lid, stops him going out over the top as well. Essentially win win :p

#42 · (Edited)
well you could get the cortex base to have taller sides I imagine My gps correx sides only go up about 20cm, but obviously its not an issue I had to worry about with them

also depends on what you have in the cage. I don't really have anything my hedgie can use to climb on to get higher. As he has a snuggle sack, wheel, ball, treat ball & tunnel (the tunnels wider enough he wouldn't be able to on top, and its fleece so it would collapse if he dis somehow manage it) also my hedgie isn't a climber

#49 ·
that's essentially the cage i have for my gps (although think that's a 2x4 which would be big enough for a hedgie) they are really good. They provide good levels of space and good ventilation.
the loft bit is also an extra, you can add on. you can get them without if you want.

I wish I could get one for my hedgie, but where I live, especially in winter, I think heating it would be too difficult (would probably need like 4 ches :p)

#54 ·
I have for mine, yes. You could contact the company and ask if they provide lids, if it doesn't state that with the cage.
if not, you could easily make a lid yourself, if you can find somewhere to buy the grid squares (you can probably get extra grid squares from wherever you are thinking about getting the cage)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.