silly question - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2011, 12:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default silly question

so i used some new soap we got to wash my hands and now my hedgie wants to eat my fingers when i try to pick him up ha. he did this with a couple of shirts and then got over it once he was used to it. so what should i do about my hands? does their nibbling hurt at all or would i be able to maybe let him get it out of his sysem? haha
transdel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2011, 12:28 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: silly question

My hedgie nibbles me sometimes to let me know he wants some food, it doesn't really hurt. As long as it doesn't seem aggressive I wouldn't worry
amberkinn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2011, 12:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

i just let him start to for a sec and he bit pretty hard! when he was biting my clothes he would shake his head back and fourth like a dog playing tugga war haha. anything else i could try?
transdel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 12:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by transdel
i just let him start to for a sec and he bit pretty hard! when he was biting my clothes he would shake his head back and fourth like a dog playing tugga war haha. anything else i could try?

blow gently on his face until he lets go, do not pull your finger away, he will bite harder (most likely)
TeddysMommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2011, 12:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

I don't believe in blowing in their face to get them to let go. For many, all it does is make them even madder. What sometimes works is gently pushing your finger towards their mouth and usually that makes them let go. If you can stand it, sometimes just waiting until they let go shows them that biting accomplishes nothing.

Try and figure out why he is biting. Some hedgehogs are very oral and like to chew and tug on fabrics. Let hedgie go to it. Wear an old t-shirt and let him chew away. Just make sure the fabric is not tight to your skin or he may accidentally grab skin too.

Sometimes any smell on hands will entice them to bite. It's best to wash hands with just water so there is no smell. If hedgie tries to bite fingers, keep them away from his mouth. Never hold food in your fingers for him as that can make some associate fingers as always having food. Don't allow nibbling on fingers as that often continues into biting. It is much simpler to not encourage biting or nibbling than it is to solve the problem once it's started.

Some will go through a little biting phase and it's best to simply keep fingers away from his mouth during this time.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in