Bad care? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2011, 11:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Bad care?

Okay, so maybe this isn't the right forum for this, but I really don't know which it would go in (off topic?) so if it needs to get moved, someone help me out!

I have a blog on tumblr, and you're able to tag things and then track them and look at everything that's been updated with that tag.
I am always on the hedgehog, hedgie or hoglet tag and am continually seeing bad care given to the babies. I try to give advice nicely when people seem to be asking for a little help, but I really hate to see everything wrong for them but not knowing what to do about it! You guys know how some people react to advice or help when they think they're doing it right, as I've seen it on the forums frequently..
Too high bath water, wood in cages, wrong shavings, bad litter, bad food, overweight hedgie, underweight hedgie, long nails, unsafe habitat, too small of a habitat, everything!
I just hate it and need to rant I guess, but also ask for help - can I do anything at all to help these poor little guys?

Old 12-21-2011, 10:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Bad care?

I know what you mean. Unfortunately the best we can do is offer the right information, point them in the right direction, and hope they care enough to change what they're doing. As much as I wish we could, we can't force them to change the way they're doing things. Going about things in the nicest, most polite way possible is best to avoid them getting defensive and unwilling to listen.

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2011, 08:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Christemo

I've got a Tumblr too, and I just stopped following the hedgehog tag. I couldn't take it anymore, as bad as that sounds.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/tranquills
Check out Tranquills for all your hedgehog needs! Including... TUTUS!
https://christineschramm.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home
Christemo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 09:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christemo
I've got a Tumblr too, and I just stopped following the hedgehog tag. I couldn't take it anymore, as bad as that sounds.
It's been driving me crazy! I rarely check it now, just wait for the hedgehog related blogs to update. It makes me too sad to see all the poorly cared for lovelies.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Christemo

I don't even follow them, because I saw one feeding their hedgehog raisins. I ask boxed them about it and they basically told me I was wrong because they're the queen of hedgehogs on tumblr.

.... right.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/tranquills
Check out Tranquills for all your hedgehog needs! Including... TUTUS!
https://christineschramm.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home
Christemo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2011, 10:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
I don't even follow them, because I saw one feeding their hedgehog raisins. I ask boxed them about it and they basically told me I was wrong because they're the queen of hedgehogs on tumblr.

.... right.
Honestly? That's ridiculous. I follow one (ahedgehogblog, I believe she's on the forums somewhere!) that is constantly getting ridiculed for calling people out on mesh wheels or other not okay things. I'm glad she does it so I don't always have too, though!
Old 12-22-2011, 10:43 AM   #7 (permalink)

There are only two sources on hedgehog care that I trust on Tumblr, sayhedgehog (on here ) and ahedgehogblog. There was a person running a hedgehogs FAQ Tumblr for a while, but they were giving out all the wrong advice. She recommended putting sand paper on their wheels to help with their growing nails O_O
Old 12-22-2011, 12:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieMackk
Quote:

.... right.
I think you did the right thing about telling her, it's just some people like to live in denial that they are the best about whatever, but there is always stuff to learn... and they are the queen of hedgehogs on tumblr...Wow.
Honestly? That's ridiculous. I follow one (ahedgehogblog, I believe she's on the forums somewhere!) that is constantly getting ridiculed for calling people out on mesh wheels or other not okay things. I'm glad she does it so I don't always have too, though!
I think I would of got grilled if I said anything about their *wrong* care on tumblr, thats why I dont have one
TeddysMommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2011, 12:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddysMommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieMackk
Quote:

.... right.
I think you did the right thing about telling her, it's just some people like to live in denial that they are the best about whatever, but there is always stuff to learn... and they are the queen of hedgehogs on tumblr...Wow.
I think I would of got grilled if I said anything about their *wrong* care on tumblr, thats why I dont have one
Hahaha, I would too! And I don't deal with people getting mad at me well, so I would probably jut curl up in a ball and sleep. I try to give it only when people are asking for help or not sure what they're doing, and I do it in the nicest way possibly, but I mean, like shaelikestaquitos said, there was someone talking about their 'badly behaved and very mad' hedgehog that was (And i quote) "Kept me up all night destroying his litter tray ripping the sand paper to pieces then jumping & falling off his house."
I was so shocked.
1. Nocturnal.
2. SAND PAPER?! Why.
3. Falling of his house? Not okay.

I need to stop looking at the tag, but sometimes I can't help it.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:

Hahaha, I would too! And I don't deal with people getting mad at me well, so I would probably jut curl up in a ball and sleep. I try to give it only when people are asking for help or not sure what they're doing, and I do it in the nicest way possibly, but I mean, like shaelikestaquitos said, there was someone talking about their 'badly behaved and very mad' hedgehog that was (And i quote) "Kept me up all night destroying his litter tray ripping the sand paper to pieces then jumping & falling off his house."
I was so shocked.
1. Nocturnal.
2. SAND PAPER?! Why.
3. Falling of his house? Not okay.

I need to stop looking at the tag, but sometimes I can't help it.

Uhm. If my hedgehog fell off of his house I would check him out first, then if i had to take him to the vet, them cuddle him, but why the heck would they have sandpaper, i mean, i would probably tear it to shreads if someone wanted me to live in it....

End Rant.
TeddysMommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in