New hedgehog owner - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2016, 08:17 AM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy New hedgehog owner

Hello everyone I have just joined and I cannot thank you all enough as your community has answered so many of my questions and is a great resource for new owners. I keep searching for answers about my new hedgehog, Henry, hoping someone has the same problem as I do but I can't seem to find it.

I also don't want to be a new mommy who overthinks every aspect, however by nature I'm very nurturing and it's hard when you get a hedgehog who isn't I love with you. This has been the hardest aspect to get used to with my hedgie.

He seems very happy some days and some days he is scared of my movement around my room. He has a large rabbit cage, with food he loves (I nearly fill every morning), a snuggle bag and a brand new wheel. He has yet to go on it as I only got it last night. My question is, why is he so scared when I come near his cage? When I take him out(in a blanket) and put him on me he either sleeps or walks all over me, exploring. When i first got him he let me rub his tummy and he doesn't allow for that anymore, as he is quilling. If he seems so at ease when he's on me and exploring why is he so scared when I walk near his cage?
Any help would be so helpful!
Newmama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2016, 10:23 AM   #2 (permalink)

Prey animal. In the cage that's his home or den or however you want to think about it. He is in there going about his business or sleeping.
He isn't that far separated from his wild relatives. For a wild hedgehog any movement or bump could be his last. This is instinct.
Out of the cage when he's hanging out with you he's only half convinced you aren't going to eat him today so he can be more relaxed.
Even the hedgies that are really calm can have days where their instinct is stronger than their comfort level was previously.
My suggestion is to reevaluate your expectation. If you think he will show affection like a dog, your going to be seriously disappointed. Don't judge his behavior in the cage. Get him out every night for at least 30 minutes. If he lets you pick him up, touch him anywhere, stops huffing within a short period of time, is willing to sleep on you or explore a little.... That is success with these guys, all of that shows trust and comfort.
twobytwopets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
dislike, hissing, new owner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in