Why or why not an Albino? - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2009, 12:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Why or why not an Albino?

I found a breeder near us and have research our city ordinance and looks like we will be able to get one. I am doing research on them and really learning a lot. What I can't find is why would an Albino be cheaper and is there a reason we should not get one for our son. I'm not saying we have decided on an Albino one, we are just wondering. We have our own ideas about why, but I thought I would ask people who can give it to us straight. This will be my 11 yr old sons pet, he is a very good responsible young man and after reading about hedgehogs I know this is a perfect pet for him. Wish I had kown about them sooner actually.

Thanks for all the info you can give.

Chelle
TwinJuneBugs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2009, 06:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Why or why not an Albino?

Albinos are harder to sell because of their red eyes. Many breeders charge less for them hoping to get them in new homes faster.

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2009, 06:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

An albino is a complete lack of coloring, and unlike other species where albinos are specifically sought after and rarer than normal colors, Albino's are very common among hedgehogs.

One reason for the price drop could be because of how common they are. Any color can be albino or not albino, so instead of picking from a pool of 30-60 colors, it is now picking form a pool of 2 colors, albino or not. (I know it doesn't work like that, that is a simplified interpretation)

Albino's also hold the genetic material for their original color, and some breeders believe they can produce either lighter or darker colored offspring when bred.

This is the reason i believe is why they are cheaper. Albino's have red eyes, and a lot of people either see red eyed animals as blasphemies or are just all around scared of them. They also have no discernible color pattern, and thus are less visually appealing than other hedgehogs and may not be wanted.

The drop in price however does not come from any genetic faults with albinos. The color of a hedgehog does not tell you about its personality of health. All hedgehogs have the ability to be either socialized or grumpy, and it is up to the breeder and owner to make sure that the socialize the hedgehog well.

So don't fear the lower price because of an albino being more fragile than another hedgehog, it is most likely just because of visual appearance of the creature. The best way to find out why they are cheaper is to ask the breeder.
azyrios is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 07:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Eddy is albino and I love him just as much as my chocolate bella it color should not matter just pick the perfect pet for you son.
Aleshea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2009, 07:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

I love albinos and hope to always have one. The majority of people do not like them because of the red eyes and some people have the mistaken impression that albinos are less healthy. While that is true in some species, it is not in hedgehogs. As has been said a few times already, albino in hedgehogs is just another colour. If you are not bothered by red eyes, go for it. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful pet.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2009, 08:16 AM   #6 (permalink)

Not sure why but my origianl reply was disaproved but I wanted to thank you all for your information on albinos. We hadn't even thought about breeders not wanting to breed them or people not really wanting them.

We have no problem with the red eyes. We've had hamsters with red eyes and loved them. My son saw Eddy's picture and fell in love. Thinks he has real character, loves the pink ears too. He now has his heart set on geting an albino.

Thank you!
TwinJuneBugs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2009, 10:28 AM   #7 (permalink)

All my babies are the same price. Even if he is black, albinos, tobiano (i would keep it by the way ), or a regular color. I think that it's not by their color that we love them!!

But it's my opinion!!

But I agree that the albinos are hard to sell. People doen't like the red eyes.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

hmm thats odd, i've never herd of someone charging less for an albino, in fact, kaila (my newest) is an albino and i had to pay more for her than your standard chocolate.
HedgieIsabella is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in