Eye Sight - Page 2 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2016, 11:11 PM   #11 (permalink)

Why would you even want to risk the chance of hurting your hedgehog when it can be completely avoided? Even with one report of it happening means it CAN happen and can affect your hedgehog. There's no need to put your hedgie at risk when the ball time could be substituted with supervised play time while roaming free or in a play pen. Better safe than sorry!
nikki and octopushedge like this.
Sarahgx__ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2016, 11:40 PM   #12 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Alright guys, the OP has been warned enough. Ganging up on one person over an issue isn't going to help matters much - it's more likely to make the OP feel attacked & get defensive. That doesn't help the hedgehog or anyone else.

Hedgehog Swag, no one is trying to say that you neglect your hedgehog or that you're a bad owner or anything. She's clearly well loved! The balls honestly aren't recommended for hamsters either - they're not really ideal for any animal that I can think of. Run-around balls is one of those touchy issues that can be pretty divisive in hedgehog groups. It's pretty clear that this forum is largely against them. We tend to be extremely vocal about hedgehog safety & therefore, most people on here are quick to eliminate potential risks to their hedgehogs like running balls, Silent Spinner wheels, water bottles, etc.

There are still occasionally people who use the running balls. Like the others have said, there haven't been any recent reports of injuries - whether that's because they're so rarely used these days, because the risk is so small to begin with, or because the design has been changed (a claim I've seen before), who knows. All we know is that at least in the past, there was a definite risk, and it's why groups started to warn against using them. I don't think the claim came from nowhere or from just one or two instances - those who have been around in the hedgehog community for years, like Nikki has, remember the number of problems caused by different products, even if the actual recounts of the incidents have been lost now.

In the end, it's up to the individual owner. We can tell you the risks, but we can't make you do anything. If you feel the risk is small enough to be worth it, then you're likely to continue using the ball, and the Silent Spinner wheel. But you are at least informed about both sides of the issue.
FinnickHog and Dumble like this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2016, 01:18 AM   #13 (permalink)

Just want to chime in that I did not intend to scold you or alienate you. Just hoping to pass on the advice and information that has been provided for me by the members of this forum and others like it. The help I have received here has been invaluable and I feel like without it I may have made some really crucial errors. The best way I can show gratitude for that is to pass it on to the next guy. Everyone here just really cares a lot and we get sad when we see posts about our little babies being injured by things we feel were preventable. Whatever you decide I wish you and your hog a long and happy friendship together.
Lilysmommy likes this.

Dumble is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 02:21 PM   #14 (permalink)

Lillys Mom - I appreciate your post and no frets of being ganged up on. My only point is people are throwing out opinions as if they are factual and in forums things can spread like wildfire. I have read that they are horrible because a hedgies back does not bend that way yet the same person will use a wheel which is the exact diameter of the ball. I have read their toes/toenails get caught in the small holes yet there are no small holes in the ball, etc. Most important when researching I find very little and nothing in recent years about injuries caused by the ball. I never had a ball 5 years ago to compare to todays ball to determine if it was improved but I would say lack of post regarding injuries is at least partially due to the ball itself being improved. Again my only goal is to provide an environment for Scrizzie that is physically and as important mentally stimulating for her. I do understand the passion as I have "bit my tongue" more than once when reading post of a hedgie living in basically a small jail cell with the thought process you stick a wheel in there and take them out 30 minutes a day and all is good.

What I have learned in this short time is if you took everything someone has an issue with the hedgie care and eliminated it you would have Spikes and a wheel left.
Hedgehog Swag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in