Anastasia? - Page 2 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2016, 05:54 PM   #11 (permalink)

I play with him everyday even it is for a few minuets in his cage. I'm just not sure how to touch him without picking him up in a shirt. All he does is ball up. He really doesn't like me thouching his quils.
Laura21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2016, 06:56 PM   #12 (permalink)

Then pick him up in the shirt. It's not a big deal. He absolutely won't get used to being handled or being out of his cage if you never handle him or take him out. Use the shirt. There's nothing wrong with that. Or get yourself a fleece blanket. Pick him up with that and then fold it over him so he's hiding in a little fleece cave. Place hedgie in lap and bam, bonding time. Keep doing that every day. He'll start realizing he's not going to be eaten and start relaxing a little. After a while, start trying to pet him. Even if he starts hissing and popping and jumping at you. You have to pet him. If you'll stick with it and do it every day, he'll start relaxing about being touched and you'll be able to do more. But it won't happen if you don't do it. Don't let the little guy boss you around just cause he makes mean noises and tries to poke you. Show him it won't work and he'll get over it.
shinydistraction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2016, 08:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
Administrator

A few minutes in his cage isn't anywhere near enough interaction. Back to the locked in a room analogy, it would be like someone coming into the room for a few minutes and then leaving you completely alone for the rest of the time, you'd learn to not want any company at all...it wouldn't be a good thing. No hedgehog likes being picked up or having their quills touched when they aren't used to it. You NEED to HOLD him at least 30 minutes every day. The way you're treating him isn't not in his best interest. If you can't take time to bond with him properly then why do you have him? It's no different than someone leaving a dog tied up on a short chain all its life, its cruel.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 12:51 AM   #14 (permalink)

I wasn't expecting to have to get a job. Situations came up and I had to get a job to help with the financial struggles we are having. I usually working 30-40 hours a week while going to high school. I stay up even later just to try and bond with him. Some nights I'm just to exhausted to do so. I'm not sure why you're questioning my ability to take care of him when I've been doing perfectly fine for the two months I've had him. This situation didn't start off because I never handled him.
Old 04-04-2016, 12:54 AM   #15 (permalink)

I attempt to interact with him everyday even when I really should be sleeping. Even if it's in his cage that day he gets outs of his cage almost everyday for at least 30 minuets.
Also another questions why does he bit literally everything? Is it out of fear? Even if he has smelt it a thousand times he still bites it but never annoits. (I know I really misspelt that).
Old 04-04-2016, 01:20 AM   #16 (permalink)

I'm sorry you are going through a difficult time and I don't want to sound mean, but you should seriously think of rehoming him.

It's not fair to him nor to you. You are a teen who is going to school and working a full time job. You need time to study and to rest and forcing yourself to stay up to keep up with a pet is not good for your health; you are already doing more than you should at your age.
You obviously mentioned the financial troubles at home, what will happen if he gets sick? You won't have the means to take him to the vet an run a full battery of tests that could be very expensive.

I know you already fell in love with the little guy but this might not be the best time for you to keep a pet.

Sorry if that was to straight forward but sometimes we need to hear what we don't want to hear.
nikki and octopushedge like this.
Artemis-Ichiro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2016, 02:59 AM   #17 (permalink)

Welcome to the life of an adult. You have to do things when you're tired, whether or not you want to or have had enough sleep. Sometimes you have to make unpleasant decisions. Sometimes it's really just not fair. But it is what it is and you have to deal with it.

Clearly, if you're having the issues you're having, you're not doing perfectly fine. It's ok to admit that. That's also part of being an adult. However, how you deal with that will define who you are as a person. We've told you what to do to deal with the problem. Given you options in fact. You can either evaluate your situation in an objective manner and make the best decision for both you and your hedgehog...or you can ignore the advice you were given and ignore the problem and let it continue to the detriment of yourself and your pet.

So, what will it be? Can you devote a minimum of 30 minutes every single day (no skipping because of the big test tomorrow or because you're tired) to getting your hedgehog out of his cage regardless of his behavior and handle him? Or would it be in his best interest to find a home for him with people who can meet his needs and care for him the way he needs to be cared for? You're the only one who can answer that question. But you can't let things continue on the way they are. It's not right to treat him that way, and it's not right to put an undue burden on yourself.
nikki likes this.
shinydistraction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2016, 02:00 AM   #18 (permalink)

I will keep him and interact with him everyday for 30 minuets.
I don't go to a traditional high school to I don't have homework unless it's me doing just because I want to.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:09 AM   #19 (permalink)

Guys I know y'all have been really hard on me but I almost just cried because sonic let me hold him even though it was in a shirt, but it was a new shirt he hasn't smelt before either.
nikki and shinydistraction like this.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:29 AM   #20 (permalink)

This is good progress. Congrats on a step forward.

Dumble is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in