Traveling with hedgies? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2011, 10:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to infamousrenie
Default Traveling with hedgies?

So my husband and I just found out the army may be moving us to Washington state. It's not until the summer if we do go, but I want to know... how does one go about cross country driving with two hedgies in tow?

What should I bring? What should I do? They both have carriers so that's not a problem, but should I keep the wheels too for hotel rooms and stuff, or would they be okay without them for a couple of days? I won't have any room for their cages, so what's an easy solution for that? Far as I can tell, the trip would be roughly 22 hours. Should I sedate them? Help! I want to be prepared if this move does happen!

Old 12-04-2011, 10:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Traveling with hedgies?

Well, I would keep an eye out for the christmas tree bins that should be coming out soon in stores. Those make GREAT cages, permanant or temporary and are great sizes.
But, if those are too big, any relatively large sterilite bins will work fine. You can stack them, and when you are travelling, you can use them as storage. Just stuff everything in there, wheels, fleece, extra random stuff that just doesn't seem to fit anywhere else. Then, once you are in a hotel, they can be converted into temporary cages. Since you have time to prepare, just remember to drill lots and lots of holes along the sides of the bin. And you can even cut out the middle of the lid, and replace the hole with mesh.

Do you think that would work?
Immortalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2011, 10:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

I travelled for 3 days with 5 hedgies, from Oregon to Northern AB. The best thing to use for cages is rubbermaid tubs, you can nest them into each other while travelling and put all of the hedgie stuff in them while travelling to. I didnt' take wheels, only because with 5 I didn't have really big tubs and had so much other stuff to take too. I used liners, blankets and hedgie bags so I didn't have to deal with loose bedding. I just stuffed all the dirty liners etc into a garbage bag to clean when I got home. We were pulling our holiday trailer so I just made sure it was really warm in it before moving the hedgies in at night and I didn't need any extra heating. I did pack hand warmers to use in the vehicle if needed. I had the hedgies all in cat carriers and secured in the vehicle. Hope this helps.

Oh and sedating an animal is never a good idea and its really not neccessary.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 08:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

When staying in a motel room you want to make certain there is no way possible for an escape. If using a bin, make sure it has a well fitting lid with plenty of ventilation.

I think having wheels is important as they will be stressed during the drive and a wheel will help work off some of their stress level.

The My First Home cages are great as the wire part folds flat so they don't take up much room at all. When not in use, they easily slide under a bed. http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... oduct+Type You may be able to find a couple used ones.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2011, 09:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

If you are staying in hotel rooms, I highly recommend trying to keep things as normal as possible for them. Give them their wheels, their normal bedding etc. If using a travel cage, start putting them in it for short periods of time before your trip. That way it is not unfamiliar to them. Keep something in their cage that smells like home to them. Its been my experience to do this to reduce stress.

Once at your destination, try to immediately get them back on their normal routine.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in