The Hedgie Checklist! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2011, 11:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default The Hedgie Checklist!

I'm about to go get my little one tomorrow, but I'm sure I still need plenty of pointers from owners, since I'm brand new to hedgehogs. For her cafe, I have:

Water Bottle
Litter Box
Decent-sized wheel ( plastic, no holes to get into! )
Food Bowl
Hide-Away Home
Rock Garden ( smooth black river rocks, polished and no sharp edges )
Lamp for light ( I would like suggestions on time. Her cage is near my window, so I was considering letting nature handle the light problem -- good or bad idea? )
Thermometer ( can't be too careful )

I have a good brand of cat food as a staple and plan on getting crickets and mealies to help her along : )
I am worried about heating -- would it be a good idea to wrap the cage on one side with a blanket/sheet to protect from a ceiling fan? I usually have it turned off now in ancitipation of her.
Working on getting some clean TP tubes for her, too, just so she can be silly! And of course, a very worn shirt of mine
Another thing -- I hear all about putting these little pokey-guys and gals in hoodie pockets. Is this really a good idea or a disaster waiting to happen?

Any suggestions and advice would be GREAT!
Mohawk Pride is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2011, 11:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: The Hedgie Checklist!

Congrats on becoming a new hedgie owner!

Using the window for light is not the best idea for two reasons:

When seasons change, and days get shorter, hedgehogs may try to hibernate (which can result in death among domestic hedgehogs). So it's really better to have a lamp that is on the same amount of time each day (12-16 hours of light a day is the recommendation) . My lamp is set on a light timer so I don't have to rely on myself to remember to turn it on and off the same time every day.

The second reason is that it can get kind of cold being next to a window. Hedgies need to maintain a warmer temperature (typically around 75 F). Wrapping a blanket around one side of the cage may help, you'll just have to check the temp.

My little Petunia likes to burrow in my hoodie pocket sometimes, we've never had an issue She might poop in there, so be prepared for that!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in