Ease my paranoia until Saturday? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2011, 01:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Ease my paranoia until Saturday?

Just over a week ago (8 days to be exact) I brought home a rescue hedgie. She's one year and three months old. I adopted her from someone who could no longer keep her. She seems to be doing well, but I'm noticing some things that may or may not be a problem. After only 8 days, I don't know what is normal for her yet. I have a vet appointment scheduled for Saturday, which is the soonest I could get. The exotic vet is on vacation until then.

Her poop is of normal consistency, not runny or loose, but is greenish brown. It's brown with a sort of olive green tint. You have to roll it in a wet paper towel to see the green. It's been like that since she got here. I know greenish poop is normal during the adjustment period, but it's been 8 days.

She licks her nose when I take her out to hang out with me. I notice two or three licks every few moments. I don't see discharge or hear any problems with her breathing, and she's not sneezing. She's been doing that since she got here, or at least within the first couple of days. I didn't think anything of it at first. She has no discharge from her eyes either, but there is a little eye crusty in the corner of one of them. Do hedgies get sleep crusties in their eyes like people?

She's eating normally and using her wheel with gusto every night. As for drinking, it's hard to tell with the gravity dish and evaporation. I've not seen her drink. I can do a dehydration test if she'll be still for at least a nanosecond.

I guess I'm just looking for people's thoughts on whether I should be as worried as I am. Saturday seems like ages from now. What do people do in emergencies if the exotic vet is on vacation?

Old 11-16-2011, 01:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Ease my paranoia until Saturday?

We I'm no hedgehog expert but I think shes fine To mee those things sound like shes still getting used to her new environment. Henrietta will have random green poos, but other wise shes fine. I know that for dogs/cats the eye crusties can either be from their food or their water. Shes still probly adjusting to a new food, and they get crusties and stains from stuff in the water. (animals are most likely not to get bottled/distilled water like their humans like)

I hope thats readable.... I'm exhausted.

And CONGRATS!
setterchick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2011, 11:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

Holly licks her nose too, and she's fine. And the green poop, it could be caused by any number of things, but I think it might be her food. But i'm no expert, so I still think you should ask Nancy or LarryT.

http://whimsiquills.blogspot.com/
Check out Holly's blog
hedgiegirl1214 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 09:42 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm beginning to think the nose licking might be normal for her, but we'll see what the vet says tomorrow. She's been eating, drinking, and wheeling like a champ, and I don't hear anything that sounds like congested breathing. Still no nasal discharge. As for the green poop, yesterday morning it was quite brown and looked good. This morning, green again. I think it is stress, specifically the additional stress of foot baths and/or nail clipping. She has a few really long nails that just need to be clipped now and can't wait until we get to know each other better. I've been trying to get at them every other night, so she doesn't associate me with nail clipping every time she comes out. She really hates nail clipping. Last night I got to one nail. That's it. Maybe the vet can help me with that too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in