$50 nail trimming - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AZHedgies_Eric

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2016, 04:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default $50 nail trimming

Hi everyone. Teddy and I need some help. To preface this I will state all hedgehogs are difficult to trim their nails but Teddy is exceptional. He hates any soft parts being touched. That includes feet, belly, chin, etc. I'm good with touching his quills. The very idea of attempting to trim his nails sends chills down our spine. I see a horrible scenario where it doesn't work or he ends up injuring himself which would devastate me.

I've read dozens of threads saying how to do it and I can't begin to imagine how it would work with Teddy.

My previous hedgehog was a champ, he did great having his nails cut.

My vet is offering us a nail trimming for $50 with anesthetic (I know that sounds super risky but at this point I'm starting to see it as either the vet does it or it doesn't get done... I don't know what is worse)

Perhaps we foil try scruffing Teddy but I don't want to hurt him.

I just want his nails trimmed without any injury or risk.

We are starting to get concerned. Can someone please shed some insight? The $50 vet bill is high for the trimming but I would pay it. Anything for my baby.
teddythehedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2016, 04:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

Oops, that was supposed to say "could try scruffing him."
Old 02-03-2016, 04:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Is there a breeder in your area? They might be willing to show you some techniques. This also may be where YouTube can help. We all have different techniques and describing them leaves a lot up for imagination. I'd also inquire with the vet if they would be willing to do it without sedation. The goal is for you to be able to clip them yourself or with some help from another person
twobytwopets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 04:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the tip! Teddy is pretty chill (this is definitely a relative term to how he used to be) with us at home but like a lot of animals the vet is traumatic for him, poor dear. He balls up into a huge round quill-ball and the vet even tried to scruff him with absolutely no luck.

I'll spend some time on YouTube tonight and see what we come up with. Really want to trim those long nails!
Old 02-03-2016, 04:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

The trick to scruffing is they need to be semi calm before or you need really quick hands. You also have to have the confidence to get in there and get it done.
twobytwopets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2016, 08:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

if you have to go to the vet as a last resort. $50 isn't bad with anesthesia
hedgielily likes this.
AZHedgies_Eric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2016, 02:52 AM   #7 (permalink)

So, my mother in law was at the vet with her cat and heard the vet give the idea of hanging the hedgehog off something and clipping his extended nails... Like if you have a wire cage, get someone to hold him hanging off the side so he doesn't hurt himself or fall but where his toes are gripping the bar and trim the nails from the other side of the bars. It's still a 2 person job but might be easier and cheaper than anesthetic. I hope that makes sense to you, im bad at describing things. It's worth a try maybe, if it doesn't work for you at least you tried.
Kittenmagoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2016, 03:18 AM   #8 (permalink)

I have been lucky so far with my girl... It takes awhile but I can usually trim them just by holding her against my chest and slowly clipping them while she isn't squirming... The first time I bribed her with mealworms because she will let me do pretty much anything while she is eating lol... I have also read that some people use like an ace wrap around their belly (not tight) which can help them calm down... There's so many different ways that I have seen suggested... It might just take some trial and error... Even if you only get a couple clipped the first time and then a couple more the next etc etc then at least you will be going in the right direction... Plus the more you do the more comfortable you will become which wi make it much easier.. And hopefully he gets more comfortable or at least tolerates it the more you have to do it... One thing I have learned about hedgie a (at least mine) is that you have to have a lot of patience...Maybe try going into it with the goal of just getting a couple clipped and then go from there... The first time I tried to do it I wanted to just do them all and get it done but that wasn't going to happen... If all else fails you can go to the vet but I don't like putting my pets under anesthesia unless necessary of course. So if you decide it's too dangerous to do it yourself and if the length of his nails justify anesthesia then that might be the way to go.. Another thing to think about as well is, what will you do when they grow back out? Not sure how fast Teddys nails grow but I they are as fast as my hedgie then I would have to sedate her at least once a month to trim them.. Just food for thought good luck!!
wushu1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2016, 09:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

You can also sit them on the top of a wire cage and let their legs extend through the wire. Safer than hanging them off the side of a cage.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2016, 12:34 AM   #10 (permalink)

Tinkerball's former owners had her anesthetized to get her nails trimmed, because she was a very difficult hedgehog. I personally didn't have the money for that, and I also thought the idea was very scary because I've heard of animals not waking up from anaesthesia. I didn't want to risk her life just to trim her nails.

Clipping Tinkerball's nails was a week-long activity. I'd hold her on her back and start petting her where she liked to be pet. I liked to give her shoulder rubs and rub the part where her fur met her spikes. After about 20 minutes, she'd relax enough to stick her feet out. At this point, I'd gently grab a foot and clip one nail at a time. I could clip 2-4 nails per night before she became aggressive, so I tried to do one per foot to keep them even. I'd repeat the next night, until all of her nails were an acceptable length. It was a pain in the butt, but we made it work.

Some people clip their hedgie's nails in the tub, but I did that once and Tinkerball put her head under water and got a bunch of water in her nose and it scared me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in