Bringing baby home - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2011, 10:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Bringing baby home

Hello! I'm new to posting, but have read almost every thread at least once! I am picking up my new baby girl on Tuesday; she will be 6 weeks old. I have noticed that most breeders keep the new babies until they are 7 weeks old. I am super excited about bringing her home, but I am a little concerned that because she may be going through her 6 week quilling and moving at the same time, I may stress her out too much. Any thoughts on how I can make it easier for her?

I have a giant Super Pets cage with fleece lining. I have set up the heating system (CHE 150 watt), which is keeping parts of her cage at 75 degrees and other parts about 74 degrees. I have an igloo, lots of extra fleece, a CSW on the way, a corner litter pan, a 4 inch PVC tube for hiding, and various approved and safe (according to my reading on this forum) toys. I haven't met my little girl, yet, but no matter what her personality, I am willing to keep her safe, love her and hopefully help her live a good long life. I am a health care provider and married to a wonderful woodworker husband who built a beautiful stand for the hedgie house with drawers and wheels! I have a playpen for daily activity and a small carrier to bring her home in (right now, I have a tshirt of mine in it for getting her used to my smell on the way home). I think I bought everything twice. I bought stuff, read more, and had to send it all back and start over!

I also would like to know if it is too early to try mealworms for her when she gets home? The breeder said she doesn't try them before they are 6 weeks because they "never take them."

hedgieluv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2011, 10:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Bringing baby home

Many people suggest leaving a new hedgehog alone for 24 hours after bringing them home. This lets the hedgehog adjust to their new home. Also, put the food and water bowl as close to her igloo as possible. Sometimes hedgehogs won't want to venture out the first night. I would save the mealworms for your first bonding session after the 24 hour period.

Post pictures of your girl ASAP!

CourtneyFaye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2011, 11:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks, I was planning to leave her alone for that first day (with a tshirt that smells like me :P ). Would it be okay to try a mealie with her over the next few days after she has settled or should I wait until she is older? I want to make it as easy as I can for her.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

If her tummy is upset from the move and all, I would wait until she has nice poops.

Take a gallon jug with you to collect some of her water that she normally drinks so that fewer things are changed at one time. Also, find out what food she's being fed and if it's not a good brand or if it's a hedgehog food, then you want to transition that gradually too.

Welcome to HHC and best wishes with your new baby!!

~Everyone deserves a forever home.~

Rainy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2011, 12:40 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainy
If her tummy is upset from the move and all, I would wait until she has nice poops.

Take a gallon jug with you to collect some of her water that she normally drinks so that fewer things are changed at one time. Also, find out what food she's being fed and if it's not a good brand or if it's a hedgehog food, then you want to transition that gradually too.

Oh, thank you Rainy! I hadn't thought about water. I will definitely get some of that when I pick her up. She is getting Purina Indoor cat food, so I'm planning to change her to a better mix. I'm a little confused about how to do it. I know to go slowly, but if I'm planning to change from what she has to a three food mix (Innova, Natural Balance and Royal Canin if she'll eat them), do I get her completely off the junk food and onto a better one before adding other foods to the mix? And I'll certainly wait to switch until she settles in. Thanks for all the help! I love how you all pamper your hedgies. I want my girl to be spoiled and I know this is the place to learn how to do it right.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:42 AM   #6 (permalink)

I noticed you said a corner litter box.
Tbh she might not use it. It would be easier to get a litter box that goes under the wheel.
Congrats on your new baby.

RIP Opal <3
Buy 2012 hedgehog calendar here: http://www.lulu.com/product/calendar/20 ... r/18714080
Join Hedgehog Happenings on Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/groups/hedgehoghappenings/
ShutUpAndSmile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2011, 01:13 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutUpAndSmile
I noticed you said a corner litter box.
Tbh she might not use it. It would be easier to get a litter box that goes under the wheel.
Congrats on your new baby.
Thanks so much! I'm so excited, I feel like a kid going to Disneyland. It's gonna be hard to restrain myself and let her used to me gradually.

ShutUpAndSmile, thanks for that. It's another of those things the breeder recommended. I'm getting a CSW which has a litter box under it, so I figure I'll give her the option and remove the corner box if she doesn't use it. I've been seeing some posts about dig boxes, so I could use it for that, too if she doesn't use it for doing her business. The breeder recommended a particular type of kitty litter, but after reading about litters, I was uncomfortable with that. So,I was planning to use Yesterday's news for the litter box. We'll see if she uses it. So exciting!

Old 11-07-2011, 03:51 AM   #8 (permalink)

Yesterdays news is a great choice. :3
And converting it to a dig box would be a great idea. :P
Good luck ^-^

RIP Opal <3
Buy 2012 hedgehog calendar here: http://www.lulu.com/product/calendar/20 ... r/18714080
Join Hedgehog Happenings on Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/groups/hedgehoghappenings/
ShutUpAndSmile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2011, 09:28 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgieluv
Quote:

Oh, thank you Rainy! I hadn't thought about water. I will definitely get some of that when I pick her up. She is getting Purina Indoor cat food, so I'm planning to change her to a better mix. I'm a little confused about how to do it. I know to go slowly, but if I'm planning to change from what she has to a three food mix (Innova, Natural Balance and Royal Canin if she'll eat them), do I get her completely off the junk food and onto a better one before adding other foods to the mix? And I'll certainly wait to switch until she settles in. Thanks for all the help! I love how you all pamper your hedgies. I want my girl to be spoiled and I know this is the place to learn how to do it right.
You can get your baby on a three cat food mix, it will just take longer. Only introduce one catfood at a time so you know if one is giving her problems or not. This is from another post, so I copied and pasted here. I hope this makes sense.

Quote:
Count how much kibble she eats in a night, then only offer her that amount plus 10 more (incase she's super hungry one night).

Like if she eats 50 kibble in a night, then offer 60 and break it up like this

Week 1: 15 new kib / 45 old
Week 2: 30 new kib / 30 old
Week 3: 45 new kib / 15 old
Week 4: 60 new kib

Add only one new food at a time so you know if she's having tummy troubles.

Adding a second food you want to do something like this:

Week 1: 15 new kib / 45 old
Week 2: 30 new kib / 30 old

Then you would stop there for a two kibble based diet. To add a third kibble, you would be giving her 20 of each brand, so I would give 10 the first week and 20 the second. So at the end of 8 weeks, she should be on your new mixture. This should help with all the stomach upsets, but if she's having problems when you add a new kibble at the end of the week, it could be that it's either too rich or she may have some allergy to it.

Hope this makes sense. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Don't you wish your hedgie could just talk?

~Everyone deserves a forever home.~

Rainy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2011, 11:50 AM   #10 (permalink)

Rainy, thank you! I read that same post late at night, and even kept it in a file to read later, but was still confused. Amazing how lack of sleep can make a clear message muddy...thanks for repeating yourself for the newbie that is me. Almost 40 years old and this will be the first pet that is just mine

Do you think that 6 weeks is too early to bring my new baby home?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in