New hedgie questions - Hedgehog Central Ė Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2011, 02:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New hedgie questions

Hello, Iíve been thinking about getting a hedgehog once I move but I still have a few things Iím unsure of and I donít want to mess anything up with my new hedgie. My first question would be about housing. I was thinking about keeping my hedgie in a plastic bin since it would save a little bit of money and Iíve seen plenty of people do it, but my question is which one of these that I have would work better? (Minus the contents of course, slightly in the progress of moving). I can always get a different one if need be, Iím just wondering if one I have now would work or not. Bins.

For the wheel I plan on getting the Carolina Storm Wheel since Iíve read good things about them on these forums and else ware. I also plan on getting some fleece and sewing up a few liners instead of using bedding, except in the litter box which Iím going to attempt to litter train my hedgie when I get it. For toys Iíve read/ seen people using little beanie babies and such and I was wondering if the ones I have would be ok/safe for a hedgie to have in the cage, or at least during play time. Beanie Babies. I plan on getting some lights, though not sure of which ones exactly, and a timer to keep the lighting on schedule.

My main question is still food. Iíve read the topic and the docís put up with cat food lists that are good to feed to hedgies but for some reason the whole food thing is making me a little nervous because I would hate to feed my hedgie something that is not good for them. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a few, possibly with a place I could buy them online, that are really good for hedgies? Iíve seen the wellness cat food mention from that list in a few topics on here, so I was thinking about that one, and possibly chicken soup for the cat lovers soul light in a mix but honestly Iím not sure. Hopefully Iím not coming across as dumb when it comes to the food, I just really donít wanna mess this part up at all.

Youíre sites been very helpful for me, great site you have here. Thanks in advance. Hopefully this post makes sense to other people too, wrote this really early in the morning.
rcfreak0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2011, 03:41 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: New hedgie questions

Hello! It's great that you're thinking about getting a Hedgehog, they truly are great companions with hilarious personalities to boot! If I can, I will try to answer all your questions to the best of my knowledge.

Housing. Sterelite Bins make a great home for your little pals. They provide a decent amount of room with escape proof walls. If I had to chose one from the two that were provided in your pictures I would recommend the one on the bottom as it has a larger surface area, and therefore more room for your hedgehog. A negative with using the bins is that there is restricted airflow, so drilling holes along the sides are a necessity as well as providing a holder for a water bottle if you do chose to use one. What I would also recommend is getting another bin, and drilling a large enough whole for a PVC pipe to attach the two bins together, so you could have even more room for your wheel (which seems to take up a large amount of space) and other toys. With that said, the toys you gave a link for look perfectly safe and your hedgehog should not have any problems with them

Any type of regular light should work for the 14 hours of required daylight. This includes lamps, ceiling lights, and fluorescent lights. And a timer outlet is a terrific idea, they are very helpful for me as I personally am a little forgetful. But if you were referring to ceramic heating lamps, I would recommend a 60w or 100w bulb depending on the amount of space you are wanting to heat.

Food can be a little confusing, as it was overwhelming to me at first too. Basically any type of dry cat kibble which consists in the ranges of.. 30+% crude protein, <12% crude fat, and 3+% fiber without containing corn or other "fillers" is ideal. Most of these are the "diet" cat types. There is a thread which has most of the best types of cat foods, since it is always a good idea to mix your cat food to add variety in your hedges diet. This may take a few minutes of checking the ingredients and nutritional facts of the cat food bags in your local pet food store.

And don't worry about the questions! That's a sign of a caring and devoted owner and it's always no hassle for the members to try and help answer you inquiries. Hopefully everything goes well! Good luck and Happy Hogging!
Old 11-03-2011, 07:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum!

Sterilite tubs are a great option, but as Pokey said, it'd be best if you could use two bins and attach them together. You could either use both of the ones in the picture, or buy a second one of the bottom, larger one. Another option is looking around stores for Christmas tree bins, they should be coming out fairly soon here, I would think. LarryT uses them for his hogs, he posts a link to his cage pictures here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14230&p=125265#p125265 If you want to get another and attach them, I've read that a lot of people use a hole saw, I think, I'm not sure what else you could use. I've also seen it suggested that you use a hairdryer to warm the plastic before cutting so it doesn't crack. That can be done for making ventilation holes as well.

If you're going to use Sterilite tubs and will have limited space, I'd recommend you get the Carolina Storm Bucket Wheel, also from LarryT. It's a bit smaller and won't take up quite so much room in your cage. Liners are great, and the beanies look fine, but you'll want to check them over frequently to make sure no strings are getting exposed and there's no holes where the beans can come out.

You don't sound dumb at all! Food is probably the most confusing part of any animal's care, and one of the most important, so it's good that you're concerned about it. Wellness is a great food, but you may want to hold off on trying it since it can be too rich for some hedgies and cause loose poop. As Pokey said, a mix is what most people recommend, with at least two different foods. Chicken Soup is a great one to try, and a few other popular ones are Innova, Solid Gold, Blue Buffalo, and Natural Balance. My hedgie's favorite food is Solid Gold, she always eats all of that kibble first. As far as buying foods, you can find most of these available to buy online from www.petco.com and www.petsmart.com

Also, just wanted to remind you of this (and sorry if you've already read about and know what you're planning to use), but don't forget to plan for a heating set up for your cage as well. If you can keep the entire house or room where the hedgie will be to a safe temperature (73-78, keeping it steady), that's great, but otherwise you may need to look into heating options as well. Just wanted to mention it since it's so important!

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 12:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokey
Hello! It's great that you're thinking about getting a Hedgehog, they truly are great companions with hilarious personalities to boot! If I can, I will try to answer all your questions to the best of my knowledge.

Housing. Sterelite Bins make a great home for your little pals. They provide a decent amount of room with escape proof walls. If I had to chose one from the two that were provided in your pictures I would recommend the one on the bottom as it has a larger surface area, and therefore more room for your hedgehog. A negative with using the bins is that there is restricted airflow, so drilling holes along the sides are a necessity as well as providing a holder for a water bottle if you do chose to use one. What I would also recommend is getting another bin, and drilling a large enough whole for a PVC pipe to attach the two bins together, so you could have even more room for your wheel (which seems to take up a large amount of space) and other toys. With that said, the toys you gave a link for look perfectly safe and your hedgehog should not have any problems with them
I was thinking about putting to bins together so that the wheel would have its own one so it wouldnít be taking up much space, Iíll def keep this in mind, or possible look for a bigger bin like Lilysmommy said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokey
Any type of regular light should work for the 14 hours of required daylight. This includes lamps, ceiling lights, and fluorescent lights. And a timer outlet is a terrific idea, they are very helpful for me as I personally am a little forgetful. But if you were referring to ceramic heating lamps, I would recommend a 60w or 100w bulb depending on the amount of space you are wanting to heat.

Food can be a little confusing, as it was overwhelming to me at first too. Basically any type of dry cat kibble which consists in the ranges of.. 30+% crude protein, <12% crude fat, and 3+% fiber without containing corn or other "fillers" is ideal. Most of these are the "diet" cat types. There is a thread which has most of the best types of cat foods, since it is always a good idea to mix your cat food to add variety in your hedges diet. This may take a few minutes of checking the ingredients and nutritional facts of the cat food bags in your local pet food store.

And don't worry about the questions! That's a sign of a caring and devoted owner and it's always no hassle for the members to try and help answer you inquiries. Hopefully everything goes well! Good luck and Happy Hogging!
Thanks for the food information it was very helpful along with the ceramic heating lamps. I planned on using a space heater for the room the hedgie will be in, but if it comes down to it I might just use ceramic lamps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilysmommy
Welcome to the forum!
Thanks!
Quote:
Sterilite tubs are a great option, but as Pokey said, it'd be best if you could use two bins and attach them together. You could either use both of the ones in the picture, or buy a second one of the bottom, larger one. Another option is looking around stores for Christmas tree bins, they should be coming out fairly soon here, I would think. LarryT uses them for his hogs, he posts a link to his cage pictures here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14230&p=125265#p125265 If you want to get another and attach them, I've read that a lot of people use a hole saw, I think, I'm not sure what else you could use. I've also seen it suggested that you use a hairdryer to warm the plastic before cutting so it doesn't crack. That can be done for making ventilation holes as well.
Thanks for that! That topic was very helpful.

Quote:
If you're going to use Sterilite tubs and will have limited space, I'd recommend you get the Carolina Storm Bucket Wheel, also from LarryT. It's a bit smaller and won't take up quite so much room in your cage. Liners are great, and the beanies look fine, but you'll want to check them over frequently to make sure no strings are getting exposed and there's no holes where the beans can come out.
Yeah I planned on getting a wheel from him, as they look really nice and easy to clean, along with safe. Letís hope I can remember how to sew and not mess up and make ugly looking liners ha. Iím glad the beanies look safe, I will definitely keep an eye on them so that there would be no holes.

Quote:
You don't sound dumb at all! Food is probably the most confusing part of any animal's care, and one of the most important, so it's good that you're concerned about it. Wellness is a great food, but you may want to hold off on trying it since it can be too rich for some hedgies and cause loose poop. As Pokey said, a mix is what most people recommend, with at least two different foods. Chicken Soup is a great one to try, and a few other popular ones are Innova, Solid Gold, Blue Buffalo, and Natural Balance. My hedgie's favorite food is Solid Gold, she always eats all of that kibble first. As far as buying foods, you can find most of these available to buy online from http://www.petco.com and http://www.petsmart.com

Also, just wanted to remind you of this (and sorry if you've already read about and know what you're planning to use), but don't forget to plan for a heating set up for your cage as well. If you can keep the entire house or room where the hedgie will be to a safe temperature (73-78, keeping it steady), that's great, but otherwise you may need to look into heating options as well. Just wanted to mention it since it's so important!
Thank you for the food suggestions, Itís really the only main thing left Iíve been wanting to clear up before I got my hedgie when Iím done moving. Thanks for the reminder about the heat again, it definitely is an important part of caring for a hedgie. But I think I got it covered, or at least I will for sure.
rcfreak0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Ė Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in