Rescuehedgie or newborn? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2011, 06:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Rescuehedgie or newborn?

Hey everyone! Since about two months I have my very own hedgie, Joey. I LOVE him to bits and he totally won my heart.

Since I have plenty of time, and I want to learn as much as possible about these wonderful creatures, I would like him to be a daddy. Not right now, but in due time. The thing is, APH's in Holland are not very common, so it's rather hard to find good potential hedgie-mommies. Here comes my question: there's this gorgeous little girl for sale, about the same age as Joey (about 4 months old), which would be a rescue-hedgie. She looks good and healthy, however, she's not really the color I'd like. (I'd like to have a lighter color, like a cinnicot or apricot, but darkeyed).

The other one is still a baby, she'd come home with me in 4-5 weeks (since the first week in december I won't be home due to a schoolproject). The pictures of the babies show that (with age 4 weeks, I know it can change still) she has nice light quills and coloration. But, she's a lot younger: she will be two months when Joey will be 5 months already...

What do you guys recommend? The rescue-hedgie or the newborn hedgie?

MissIvy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2011, 07:23 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Rescuehedgie or newborn?

I don't really have any input about the breeding aspect and the potential age difference, but I'm sure someone with breeding experience will be able to offer some advice there.

Honestly, I would always encourage people to choose rescue over buying a newborn hedgie if possible. Rescuing a hedgie can have some drawbacks, though. Depending on what sort of environment the hedgehog is coming from, there can be behavioral challenges. Some people find that their rescued hedgehog is quick to warm up, but this is probably the minority. My hedgie Felix is a rescue whose previous owner wasn't taking very good care of him and hadn't bothered to spend any time socializing and playing with him. I've had him for around 2 months and he is still incredibly jumpy/nervous (will ball up due to noises, sudden movement, or sometimes for no reason at all) and usually will not allow me to touch him very much when I have him out of his cage. Breeding perspective aside, this is definitely something to consider from an owner's perspective since your new little girl will be a pet and a part of your family as well as a hedgie mommy.

If you're comfortable taking the risk that you may end up with a slow to warm up hedgie and you don't mind taking the time to work through it with her if this is the case, you should go with the rescue in my opinion. But you definitely shouldn't feel pressured to do so in any way. Go with your gut and choose whichever seems right for your situation.

lehaley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2011, 07:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

If you are planning to breed this hedgehog, you need to ensure she comes with lineage. Most rescues do not have lineage and also, we can never be certain of the age of a rescue because often people say they are younger than they are to make them more enticing. To breed the girl must be a year or less old.

If you are going to breed, go with a baby that comes with lineage. Does your boy have lineage?

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 08:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

Yes he does. However, his breeder was the only one in Holland of which I was sure they used lineaged hedgies for breeding. Like I said before, their not a big hit yet in Holland and as far as I know there aren't any other breeders here that care about lineage (they might, but non have official websites or anything of which you can see what standards they use for breeding). And Joey was from the last litter from his breeder before he decided to quit breeding hedgies...

Old 11-02-2011, 11:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

I'd still go with the baby unless you are certain that the older one is really they age they say she is. Is there any documentation stating her age? As I mentioned, rescues/rehomes are not always the age the person says they are.

Retired from breeding

Old 11-02-2011, 12:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

I think I'm going to pick the baby, too. Because 1) she's very close to the color I'd like to breed with and 2) because you can raise them yourself, which make them easier to determine and develop a great personality which I think is REALLY important with breeding pets.

My only concern is, since the girl has to be between 6 and 12 months old to be bred, won't the age (since he's 3/4 months older than her) be a big problem?

Old 11-02-2011, 01:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

The boys age is no big deal. There are no restrictions on age for a male. The only thing is, 4 months or under, or over 3 years they may not be consistently fertile.

Retired from breeding

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in