I need some guidance on this adoption scenario - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2011, 09:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default I need some guidance on this adoption scenario

So, after a month or more of research I decided to send out some feelers for a pet hedgie. Looking for babies mostly but adoption was also an Idea of mine.

I found a lovely little girl who's owners were selling. I was really excited but forgot some of my questions to ask. I know she's about a year old, her food habits, and is pretty friendly wonce she warms up to people

I put a bit of a hold on her so I could make sure I had money and all the things she would need.

Now I've come to find out that she's had a surprise litter of babies.
This concerns me on two levels. He said they didn't know she was pregnant with they got her, so they couldn't have had her for more than 5-6 weeks. Makes me wonder if a move again will be so good for her.

It's also got me thinking that they don't know her history and it makes me concerned that something else could arise later.

Lastly, I'm not sure if I'm just being paranoid, but don't their dispositions change after they've started having babies?

I'm really torn about this, especially since I've also gotten in contact with another person who just had hoglets who will be ready in about 2-3 weeks.

What would you all do?
stabb_e_lane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2011, 09:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: I need some guidance on this adoption scenario

Hmm I wonder why no one has posted on this....

IMO- There are bad breeders in the world... Instead of separating them at how ever many weeks they were obvi still together.... Great idea? Nope. But there are just bad people. Is it the peoples fault that have her now? No (well unless they have a boy) But, lets face it, you would give her the best home possible. No matter what her previous situation is. We have a feeder rat, was it the best idea? No. Do we love her to death? Yes. We don't support that, and we know that all of her siblings are in snakes bellies but we saved her and gave her the best life she could have ever had, and we lover her to death!

You never know how long they will live, or what problems they will have, I say go for it!
setterchick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2011, 12:12 AM   #3 (permalink)

I'm sorry that not many have responded to this. I've been watching, but I thought that a person with breeding experience should give you advice. I haven't bred hedgies, but there is a certain period of time that the mother and babies should stay put. If you want this hedgehog, you might have to help the ones that have her right now know how to care for the mother. Any kind of upset and she could canibalize the babies.

Please private message LarryT, Nancy, Nikki, ConnorsHedgehogs, and Lizardgirl. Those are their usernames. You can private message through your user control panel. I'm pretty sure that all of them have had experience with mothers and babies.

Best wishes.

~Everyone deserves a forever home.~

Rainy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 12:53 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to greenbeansrabbitry Send a message via MSN to greenbeansrabbitry Send a message via Yahoo to greenbeansrabbitry

I would definitely advise them to not try to place the mom until the babies are weaned. They need to keep her in a quiet room and not disturb her. They should only go in there and feed/water her and get a hand full of dirty shavings a day, very quietly until 2 weeks, then they'll be able to start peaking in and start handling them.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:07 AM   #5 (permalink)

I have had a bit of an emotional attachment to her (odd as it is). I think I'll wait it out, and make sure she's ok. I don't know what the situation will be if they can't find homes for the babies when they are ready.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Sorry I missed the part about the waiting for them to be weaned at a appropriate age! Yes thats very important

Sounds like you've found your perfect little girl
setterchick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2011, 01:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Out of the 6 breeding females I've had, only 1 has ever had a personality change after giving birth. After her 2nd litter she started biting, I retired her then and after about a year of being a biter she quit and became very socialble again. I have no idea if the biting was related to her having litters or if it was just a quirk of hers. For the others it didn't have any negative effect on their personalities.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2011, 12:13 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki
Out of the 6 breeding females I've had, only 1 has ever had a personality change after giving birth. After her 2nd litter she started biting, I retired her then and after about a year of being a biter she quit and became very socialble again. I have no idea if the biting was related to her having litters or if it was just a quirk of hers. For the others it didn't have any negative effect on their personalities.
This was my major concern, I didn't want to pre-emptively scare myself away from her. All hedgies deserve a happy home.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in