Too much playing? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2011, 07:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Talking Too much playing?

Hello! I got my first hedgehog, Mr. Pricklesworth, two days ago. I've been reading up on hedgehogs since June of this year, and I wanted to be thoroughly prepared. He's an incredible animal, though I did buy him from a pet store. (I know, its bad!) So, I've been taking him out of his cage and playing with him around every two hours, for 20-ish minute periods of time. Is that too much? What is a reasonable amount of play time? Sometimes, during these little "periods", he's just curled up in a ball (maybe asleep, I'm too new to this to be able to tell!). Really, all I'm wondering is: is there such thing as too much play? Should I be letting him get more sleep?

Anything at all is greatly appreciated! Thanks
Piglesnout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2011, 08:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Too much playing?

You don't want to keep him up all day ether they are nocturnal. I would def let him sleep some like hold em when he's up unless he's just guna sleep on you. Good luck
Old 10-16-2011, 09:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

think about it like this....how would you like to be kept awake all day and night every single day? yes they are way cute and we want to be with them all the time, but they do need their quite, alone time to get their deep sleep too otherwise they can turn into grumpy hedgies really quickly and may or may not change back. that's not saying that plenty of play and bonding time is not good because it absolutely is you just have to get to know your hedgie and the you will learn quickly when too much is too much for them. i personally don't keep them out for more than an hour or two at the most during the day because as previously mentioned they are nocturnal animals and sleep during the day naturally. and the jumping back and forth waking them up then letting them go back to sleep then waking them again so soon doesn't even really give them much of a chance to get into a deep sleep before waking them back up again i know it would make me mad and it certainly is with my little man who is sick and is having to be woke up 4 times a day for meds and that's not even nearly as often. finally having them on your lap to sleep is also fine, but once again during the day i'd limit it as well just because every time you move and with the noises going on (tv, computer, animals, kids, your movements, etc) keeps waking them up as well. all personal choices and as i said you will get to know your little one and can judge more what they can tolerate, but put yourself in their shoes and try to think what would you like.
shawnwk1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 10:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'd say to take him out for a longer session in the evening... that way he can rest better during the day

Usually I take Kashi out between 9 and 10 PM, and I keep him with me until 11 or midnight. Then I turn the lights off in his cage and put him back in so that he can start his nightly routine ^_^
Old 10-16-2011, 10:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

Awesome! Thanks a ton for all of the great responses, everyone I learned all that I needed to know! I'll probably be back with more amateur questions later until then, thanks!!
Old 10-16-2011, 11:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Don't worry we were all new at one time. t their are a lot of people willing to help. What food did the petstore tell you to get?
Old 10-17-2011, 08:31 AM   #7 (permalink)

They were currently feeding it Pretty Pets hedgehog food. I looked it up on these forums, and apparently it's practically junk food. I bought a bag for his first week or so, so he isn't too stressed, but what do you suggest I switch to? Thanks!
Old 10-17-2011, 10:19 AM   #8 (permalink)

Me personally love royal canin baby cat then at about 5 or 6 months I switch to kitten same brand. Im a breeder and was told about this food and sence I switched. It has been very impressive. My babys are biger and its amazing. But their are other good foods but this has been the best. My mentor has been breeding like 16 years and loves it also. Pretty pets is junk food but your right for not switching rite away. When switching make sure you mix it in to start
Old 10-17-2011, 10:40 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks! I'll go pick some up later this week. How much do you suggest I feed my hedgehog? Should I just keep food in his bowl all the time, or should I give him less than that?
Old 10-17-2011, 11:34 AM   #10 (permalink)

Most people here just free feed which means to just keep the bowl full. Hedgehogs seem to be pretty good about regulating themselves and only eating as much as they need to. If they start getting unusually plump, that's typically when you need to step in and start limiting the food.
Nebular is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in