My new baby - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2011, 05:17 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default My new baby

Hi everyone, after 2 hedgies through the years, i finally got a new one today, from a local family owned exotic breeder shop. He (dunno the real sex) is about 14 weeks old, and is one of the most friendly hedgehogs i've ever seen. ( all the other ones i have were adopted from owners who neglected them ) The store would always handle their pets to make them friendly, and as soon as I picked him up out of the cage he un-balled in my hand. A bit pricey, but super cool little guy.
(zookeepers exotic animal store in austin texas)

anyway, this is my first one since i was a kid,

and I really want to try to keep him active and friendly as possible.

so few questions.

I read that keeping them on a table or some other type of 'platform' while you are watching tv or something is a good idea, but i'm a bit worried that he could fall off ( i have a 2'x4' table next to my computer he is sitting on right now )

Is it a good idea to pet your hog to keep him friendly, mine will let you gently stroke his back, and rarely puffs at me

the cage in the store did not have a water bottle, but a water dish, I have a bottle for him now, will this be a problem for him to convert? (ive not caught him drinking out if it yet)

Are they social creatures ( should get him a friend? )

thats really about it for now, any noobie advice tips and ideas are all welcome
FiveStarSky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2011, 06:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Breeders

Default Re: My new baby

Congrats on your hog!

When you have your hog out I would keep it on my lap, could fall from a table as you stated.

Most of us use water dishes, water bottles can chip teeth and it's also a un-natural drinking postion.

Hedgehogs are solitary animals and are better off caged by themselves.

Petting is fine if your hog allows it!

Lg's book is a must read for any owner
http://www.hedgehogbook.webs.com/
Old 10-16-2011, 03:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
PJM
Rescue

Congratulations! What's your hedgie's name?

PJM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 07:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

All my pets have been named after Disney Pixar movie characters, and since there is a stuffed hedgehog in Toy Story 3, I had to name him mr pricklepants

anyway, I also read that if you wear a hoodie and kept him in the front pouch that its a good way to get them adjusted to movement, sound, and being handeled?

good idea or no?
Old 10-16-2011, 07:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveStarSky
All my pets have been named after Disney Pixar movie characters, and since there is a stuffed hedgehog in Toy Story 3, I had to name him mr pricklepants

anyway, I also read that if you wear a hoodie and kept him in the front pouch that its a good way to get them adjusted to movement, sound, and being handeled?

good idea or no?

I did this when Kashi was a baby... but he doesn't fit there anymore. So if your hedgehog can fit, by all means, go ahead ^_^ But I will warn you... prepare for poop-filled pockets >_<
Old 10-16-2011, 07:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

yeah, my guy is pretty small, when he is not stretched out he can fit in the palm of one hand. so right now, he is just chillin while i'm cooking some dinner.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveStarSky
yeah, my guy is pretty small, when he is not stretched out he can fit in the palm of one hand. so right now, he is just chillin while i'm cooking some dinner.
Adorable! *sigh* I miss the days when Kashi used to be able to fit in my hoodie pocket... He can still fit on my palm (He's a wee lil guy of only 350 grams), but he's unfortunately too big to fit in my hoodie pocket

Please post pictures of your baby <3
Old 10-16-2011, 11:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

you all must wear like super shrunken miniturized wannabe versions of hoodies couple things that can help with the poopy hoody pocket. make sure your baby poops a few times before putting him/her in there duh lol. take him/her out every few hours (sooner when they are babies). you will have accidents of course but it's no big deal just change out your hoody you will get used to it and it will get better as they get older they can hold it a little longer and as long as YOU are on top of taking them out for potty breaks your good. mine are in my hoodies nearly every day and LOVE LOVE LOVE it. in fact jakob screams at me if i'm not wearing one and congrats
shawnwk1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2011, 11:15 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnwk1
you all must wear like super shrunken miniturized wannabe versions of hoodies couple things that can help with the poopy hoody pocket. make sure your baby poops a few times before putting him/her in there duh lol. take him/her out every few hours (sooner when they are babies). you will have accidents of course but it's no big deal just change out your hoody you will get used to it and it will get better as they get older they can hold it a little longer and as long as YOU are on top of taking them out for potty breaks your good. mine are in my hoodies nearly every day and LOVE LOVE LOVE it. in fact jakob screams at me if i'm not wearing one and congrats

I weigh 105 lbs and I'm 5'6"... so, I wear very small hoodies That is probably why Kashi doesn't fit in my pocket anymore ^_^;

Kashi is a year and a half.... hardly a baby... well, he will be to me forever... but you know ^_^;

Bonding with Kashi started with hoodie pockets because it was easy for me to walk around/do other stuff while he was in there ^_^ Now he just sits on my chest/tummy out in the open
Old 10-19-2011, 04:31 AM   #10 (permalink)

yeah, my little guy (i'm pretty sure he is a boy anyway) is pretty chill.
I take him out as soon as i get home from work ( i get home at 3am, so he is usually awake by the time i'm home) and i'll set him in my lap while i'm on the computer and he usually will just snuggle up and take a nap while i pet him. He is by far the most chill hog i've ever seen. Occasionally he will slightly raise his spikes and huff if i start petting too close to his face, but since i've owned him he has never balled up and popped at me like every other hedgehog i've had has done.

I'm pretty sure he likes it when i pet him, and tomorrow i'm gonna go get him a house and a wheel,

i've also been reading about litter box traning, any ideas or tips with that?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in