soon to be hedgie mommy! advice appreciated. - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2011, 02:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default soon to be hedgie mommy! advice appreciated.

I've always been obsessed with hedgehogs and i've finally decided to get one. Im going to pick her out today. But she wont be ready for another week. This site has been so helpful and you all have such precious hedgies!! Im so excited. I do have a couple questions though.

I have a HUGE storage bin... I would like to use it as a cage since it is much bigger than other cages... but im worried about the ventilation.. I've read some things about putting holes in it but im not sure? And another thing, its pretty deep.. im 5'4 and when I stand beside it it comes to my knees. So would it need a top? If so, how would I find a top?

Also, I have a very hyper weenie dog. Shes a mini, and her energy is 90 to nothing. I plan on slowly intoeducing them but luxy (my dog) isn't scared of anything and I don't want her to frighten my hedgie. I plan on letting the hedgehog get used to my house before introducing them.. but Idk how long to wait.

Thank you all so much, any advice would be great! Names too!

Old 10-12-2011, 03:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: soon to be hedgie mommy! advice appreciated.

Welcome to HHC! I bet you are so excited

If you decide to use the storage bin, you should probably use a drill and a long, thin drill bit to drill holes all around the cage. Make sure the holes are at least 7 or 8 inches up from the bottom so hedgie doesnt accidentally get its nails stuck in the holes. Some people say you should never house a hedgie in a cage without a lid, others say it depends on the hedgie. I, personally, look at it like its better to be safe than sorry and use a lid. You can make your own lid for the storage bin you have with chicken wire, closet shelving or even the bin's actual plastic lid.

As for your dog, if you do choose to introduce them, make sure hedgie has had plenty of time to settle in to its new home (Id say at least a couple weeks, but it may take longer than that) and take things very slow. I have had my Milly for 5 months and she has had very limited, minimal and supervised contact with my Westie. Try to get someone to help you with the introduction, so you can hold hedgie and the other person can hold Luxy.

Im Hannah, and my hedgie is Mildred. She has her own thread (Mildreds Photo Thread) so feel free to look and comment so I can pass compliments on to Milly!!

And make SURE to post pictures for us.

This message was brought to you by Mildred the Hedgehog's slave, Hannah! ^.^
hanhan27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2011, 03:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by layleyy
I've always been obsessed with hedgehogs and i've finally decided to get one. Im going to pick her out today. But she wont be ready for another week. This site has been so helpful and you all have such precious hedgies!! Im so excited. I do have a couple questions though.
Congratulations on becoming a new owner! Having a hedgehog is a lot of fun. And we're always here to help!

Quote:
I have a HUGE storage bin... I would like to use it as a cage since it is much bigger than other cages... but im worried about the ventilation.. I've read some things about putting holes in it but im not sure? And another thing, its pretty deep.. im 5'4 and when I stand beside it it comes to my knees. So would it need a top? If so, how would I find a top?
I don't use a storage bin for a cage, but most people here will recommend that you drill some holes around the top of the bin for ventilation. I think the best way to do it is to use something to melt the plastic a bit (like a heat gun?), and then drill the hole, so you don't crack the plastic. You should definitely get something for the top. A lot of people have had hedgies escape from deep cages (they are amazing little Houdinis) so, better safe than sorry. You can use some sort of removable mesh screen, that way the cage still remains ventilated.

Quote:
Also, I have a very hyper weenie dog. Shes a mini, and her energy is 90 to nothing. I plan on slowly intoeducing them but luxy (my dog) isn't scared of anything and I don't want her to frighten my hedgie. I plan on letting the hedgehog get used to my house before introducing them.. but Idk how long to wait.
Some hedgies do okay with other animals, and some do not. Definitely wait and let the hedgie settle in for a bit like you said before you introduce them, probably at least a week or two. The stress of moving to a new home is enough for a little while. And when you do let them meet, just do it slowly and keep an eye on both of them to see how they react. Hedgehogs are naturally defensive, shy animals, so don't be surprised if she balls up. Also, since you have a dog around, your cage will definitely need a top, just in case.

Hope this helps! Be sure to post some pictures of your little one when you go to pick her up!

cylaura is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 03:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Breeders

Congrats on getting your first hog!

Did the storage bin come with a lid? If so it can be modified to work as a cage top, let me see if I can find a DIY link.

I would keep the bin off the ground so your dog can't mess with it, also being off the ground will be warmer for your hog. Most people will say there is no need for the dog and hedgeog to be introduced, even the most friendly dog could hurt your hog, just be super carefull if you do let them meet. My 16 dogs don't care for hedgies one sniff and a quill in the nose and their done
Old 10-12-2011, 04:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Are you getting a girl then? For sure? Post some pictures and I'm sure we can help with some name ideas, although it really does depend on their personality most of the time! My little dude was Edmund for sure....until I met him. Now he's Bosley and it really suits him, I think.

Do you like noun names or proper names too? i.e. Peanut vs Susan.

Can you tell I like naming? I hope you find a little one you love!
Torston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2011, 04:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for all of the replies! I am going to make my own lid... I guess I need to get on the ball since she will be here in a week!! And yes I am getting a girl, and I prefer more cute little names.
Probably something ironic to do with the quils! I thought about gumball, like the poker balls that fall from trees... or my fiance suggested scootsy. Im very excited and I will post pictures asap!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in